Do I need a remap ???

CJ 251

Advanced Member
Hello all.
I have a gruppe m induction kit and dc sport on my teg. If I was to decat/ manifold it would it be wrong to not remap her. would she still run fine ?? Cheers

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Hello all.
I have a gruppe m induction kit and dc sport on my teg. If I was to decat/ manifold it would it be wrong to not remap her. would she still run fine ?? Cheers

Firstly you cant remap the ECU you either need a new ECU ie a Kpro or a Piggy back ecu ie a UnichipQ

Both not cheap but your car will still be running rich with those mods as the stock ecu adapts, if you were to fit a new inlet manifold ie RBC or RRC then you would need the upgrade.

Stoo

Whining.....
Firstly you cant remap the ECU you either need a new ECU ie a Kpro or a Piggy back ecu ie a UnichipQ

Both not cheap but your car will still be running rich with those mods as the stock ecu adapts, if you were to fit a new inlet manifold ie RBC or RRC then you would need the upgrade.
A Kpro/K100 is actually a STD ECU modified so that it is re-mappable.

Also, as Simon has said, Fitting induction, exhaust and decat will cause it to run lean. Not rich.

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
A Kpro/K100 is actually a STD ECU modified so that it is re-mappable.

Also, as Simon has said, Fitting induction, exhaust and decat will cause it to run lean. Not rich.

Ok sherlock holmes you are ' the guy that said a unichip was a genric chip ;)'

On my car with decat and induction was still running rich with a dyno printout to prove the afrs.

Ok not every car will be the same but from my experiance my car was still running rich.

Yes the krpo is a modified ecu but the op didnt know that the stock ecu cant be remapped in the usual fashion.

The only way to find out would be get the car on a dyno but i would say it would be rich as the inlet is not upgraded.

Cheers.

Stoo

Whining.....
With a decat, induction and Cat back, it will be lean.
From Experience.

Unichips used to be generic, hence my Original comment.

eXceed

Resident Driver
My car ran rich when I had induction and exhaust mods, was running nearly 11:1 AFR on WOT.
Didn't spit flames back then, does it more now!

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
With a decat, induction and Cat back, it will be lean.
From Experience.

Unichips used to be generic, hence my Original comment.

When was a unichip ever a generic chip? from the original it was always a piggybag ecu!

I know you used to run a charged dc5 but you knowldedge seems a little limted with regards to tuning no offence but your statements support this!

I have had at least 15 cars in my 9 years of passing my test and have tuned from a 1.4 na to 2ltr 5pot tuned turbo which would habe left the your chraged teg fairly easily.

But boost comes with costs that at the moment I cant justify & with buying property etc running na is far more cost effective.

In my full range of cars since i passed my test i have owned the dc5 the longest which speaks volumes for the car. Their is no point in puttting boost in to a high commperssion engine as you will see your torque figure is still lower than a 2ltr lower comp engine.

The perfect setup for a DC5 is stage 2 na, ecu upgrade ind and manifold/exhaust setup etc.

If you want quciker then go boost simples.

firthy22

Advanced Member
When was a unichip ever a generic chip? from the original it was always a piggybag ecu!

I know you used to run a charged dc5 but you knowldedge seems a little limted with regards to tuning no offence but your statements support this!

I have had at least 15 cars in my 9 years of passing my test and have tuned from a 1.4 na to 2ltr 5pot tuned turbo which would habe left the your chraged teg fairly easily.

But boost comes with costs that at the moment I cant justify & with buying property etc running na is far more cost effective.

In my full range of cars since i passed my test i have owned the dc5 the longest which speaks volumes for the car. Their is no point in puttting boost in to a high commperssion engine as you will see your torque figure is still lower than a 2ltr lower comp engine.

The perfect setup for a DC5 is stage 2 na, ecu upgrade ind and manifold/exhaust setup etc.

If you want quciker then go boost simples.
And all this from someone asking if they needed a remap :huh: Anyway, put simply, regardless of it running rich or lean, it would be advisable to get a remap if you have Gruppem, decat and sports exhaust. If you do go that route I would advise getting an RBC fitted as well and you will see some good gains from your motor.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If your car is still rich with our fuel and breathing mods I would look at other things like lambda sensors not working properly,

I can also speak from experience where the dc5 is concerned and in my personal experience after fitting decent breathing mods the cars were always lean, I'm also talking 20 or more cars.

From my dodgy memory the problem used to be around the mid point of the revs, before vtec, the car would lean right out when under full load, from between 4-7k . After 7 they were rich, but as you are not at that rev point very often while driving it was less important, however in a Honda you live between 4 & 7 k.

So really it's up to you. But like others have said every car is a little different, so really you should go for a power run at a local dyno and get the AFR checked. What has become apparent since the RBC has been being fitted to cars is how sensitive they really are to a differing amount of air , the kpro map is normally changed considerably

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
If your car is still rich with our fuel and breathing mods I would look at other things like lambda sensors not working properly,

I can also speak from experience where the dc5 is concerned and in my personal experience after fitting decent breathing mods the cars were always lean, I'm also talking 20 or more cars.

From my dodgy memory the problem used to be around the mid point of the revs, before vtec, the car would lean right out when under full load, from between 4-7k . After 7 they were rich, but as you are not at that rev point very often while driving it was less important, however in a Honda you live between 4 & 7 k.

So really it's up to you. But like others have said every car is a little different, so really you should go for a power run at a local dyno and get the AFR checked. What has become apparent since the RBC has been being fitted to cars is how sensitive they really are to a differing amount of air , the kpro map is normally changed considerably

tottally agree mate as every car is different get it R&R'd its the only way to find out

Stoo

Whining.....
Thank you Simon.

I've had 4 DC5s, all tuned. All ran lean with breathing mods until tuned with K-Pro.

Think about it bud, You're increasing the engines ability to breathe. Increasing air intake and exhaust flow. Especially with a decat and a real good intake and exhaust system.
The OEM ecu/map can't cope too well in these situations. It can only add so much fuel in the OEM map.
It tries to compensate but simply doesn't have the capacity to do so successfully within it's specified parameters, hence lean conditions become apparent.

Sometimes, depending on the condition of the lambda sensor, it may try to overcompensate and as per exceeds case, you may run very rich, but more often than not, it's lean.

It's fairly difficult to run rich under these circumstances realistically.

I know a little about engine management in general..... Only a little bit mind.
I'm not arguing my opinion here by the way.