Do I need an o2 stimulator when fitting the DC header without K-pro?

lujamil

Advanced Member
So I have a DC header ready to go on the car but no k-pro YET. Do I need to get an o2 simulator to fit in with the secondary o2 sensor because I've heard the CEL comes on if you have no k-pro. What effect will this have on my car, if any?

OR the other option is to just wait till I find a k-pro (but I am a bit impatient).

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I fitted a DC header to a friends Teg roughly a year ago and he has had no problem with the EML coming on and he has not got kpro or an O2 Sim.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Stimulator?! Or simulator?? Haha!

DC headers come with wire extensions for the O2 sensors, and no they don't usually bring on the EML. Though you run the risk of running lean.

lujamil

Advanced Member
Stimulator?! Or simulator?? Haha!

DC headers come with wire extensions for the O2 sensors, and no they don't usually bring on the EML. Though you run the risk of running lean.
woooppss. So basically I don't need anything else to install the header. I was told I 'NEED' the simulator or it will mess up my engine and we don't want to do that now do we. lol

Mark_teg

Staff member
An O2 simulator does nothing for the engine, it fools the ECU to keep the EML off, that's all.

The big debate when fitting a race header / removing the Cat is that it could allow the engine to run lean (as in my previous post).

leejw87

Spoon Whore
woooppss. So basically I don't need anything else to install the header. I was told I 'NEED' the simulator or it will mess up my engine and we don't want to do that now do we. lol
An O2 simulator will only fool the ECU into thinking the CAT is still in place, it won't make any Air/Fuel adjustments.. It's purely to stop the light from coming on..

If you want to fit it without a k100 or kpro I suggest you have it checked on a dyno afterwards to see if it's running lean.

lujamil

Advanced Member
I see. I will be getting a k-pro over the next month so the running lean problem should be resolved soon after installing the header.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I see. I will be getting a k-pro over the next month so the running lean problem should be resolved soon after installing the header.
Chances are it will be fine till then.. when I ran a full spoon and Gruppe M without my k100 it was still abit rich.

dotty

Advanced Member
An O2 simulator does nothing for the engine, it fools the ECU to keep the EML off, that's all.

The big debate when fitting a race header / removing the Cat is that it could allow the engine to run lean (as in my previous post).
This.

You'll also not really benefit power wise until mapped with kpro.

Tuners have always advised not fitting a header unless you're getting mapped.

lujamil

Advanced Member
This.

You'll also not really benefit power wise until mapped with kpro.

Tuners have always advised not fitting a header unless you're getting mapped.
I will be getting it mapped but that will be in about a month or so. Hopefully is Mase is down in December then he can map mine :) but yeah about that kind of time period till I get it mapped. That should be fine I'm guessing?

kazmo

Advanced Member
i ran a toda header with no kpro for a month, then mapped after with rbc, with no problems