Do i need another 40 bhp?

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I need some serious advice, i have been thinking about some limited tuning work on my DC5. I'm really not sure if i should do it or not and will it alter the driving expereince for the worse.

I enjoy hitting 6k and then off we go.

Reading through all the mods, i'm thinking Toda manifold and Kpro, i have a mugen twin loop and dont want much more noise.

These mods seem to give around 240 from teh dyno charts.

Just a bit concerend about the cost of the parts and the dyno time to set up, am i correct in thinking 2k all up?

Sensible opinions please...........Thanks....

Grangey

Advanced Member
duno where your getting 40bhp from?! i think you need to remember that dc5s are 220 stock, therefore only getting 20 increase. so you need to think is 1k per 10bhp really worth it. this is where hondas seriously are shit. spend 2k on a scooby, a silvia, or anything f/i and youl get some impressive differences. and although you will still notice it, 1k per 10bhp?!?! sod that...

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
^^ i'm starting to come round to this way of thinking

i reckon moneys better spent on suspension and handling mods and only go for the engine if you're gonna go at it whole heartedly...

nothing wrong with spending a few quid to make the soundtrack better tho :lol: but if you're just doing it to chase figures its a hell of an expensive game...

Option

Advanced Member
I have roughly the mods you are talking about and am running around the 240 mark. I have probably spent 2k+ but then i have a few other bits and have had a few mapping sessions.

The biggest diffence i would say was getting Kpro, not everyones choice but i have had the vtec point lowered from 5800 rpm to 4500 rpm and i find it more driveable and i think more economical.

Just my 2p worth though, best to have a go in one which has the mods you are thinking of and judge the difference for yourself.

Stu

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
thanks for the advice, i will have a think. I need to got to TGM so i will have a chat with Tom. I might put the money into my CRX track car instead!

logik

Advanced Member
ian.herm01 said:
thanks for the advice, i will have a think. I need to got to TGM so i will have a chat with Tom. I might put the money into my CRX track car instead!
That would be money better spent i think.

Martctr

Advanced Member
K-PRO!!!

It's the best mod and it's not all about power it's about the way it changes the way the car drives. I loved my ep3 with K-pro and as much as I hate to chuck a grand at the dc5 I do feel it's worth every penny. Not sure about any other power mods though as you could spend an absoloute sodding fortune for very little gain. Think I'll go for the rbc, but that will be it for mods.

Martctr

Advanced Member
ian.herm01 said:
What you got planned for the crx?

My mates got a non vtec 1.6 and it's really quite nippy. It's stripped out and he is just doing the suspension on it. Really loud raspy little thing

mikegsi

Staff member
depending on how often to get out in the rex i'd be tempted to put it into that

paul G's track dc5 has no power mods, just suspension/braces, braking and stripped, and he outdid me every which way in my 250bhp dc5 on croft...... mine had power mods, braces and brakes.

its not all about raw power.........

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
![/quote]

What you got planned for the crx?

My mates got a non vtec 1.6 and it's really quite nippy. It's stripped out and he is just doing the suspension on it. Really loud raspy little thing[/quote]

I already have project Mu slotted discs and project Mu NR pads (well 10% left), need to upgrade the pads to Project Mu Race pads.

I have tanabe race suspension fitted, some lightweight Enkei's running on R888.

Next plan is to fit a set of cams (DC2 or some more agressive Skunk) and Chiped ECU and run crome mapping software on it. Exhaust are an issue due to noise limitation on track days. Ideally i would like to fit a DC2 head but it is more complicated and i dont know what i'm doing.

On the other hand i have just been thinking about swapping to a DC2 for my track car.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
KPRo is totally worth it. It pays for itself in the long run too due to the increased economy. You might only see 10bhp top end but you'll see close to 40bhp increase in the mid range. Top mod.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
ian.herm01 said:
I need to got to TGM so i will have a chat with Tom.
I bet tom's read this and is eagerly awaiting your £2000 chat.

:lol: :lol:

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
KPRo is totally worth it. It pays for itself in the long run too due to the increased economy. You might only see 10bhp top end but you'll see close to 40bhp increase in the mid range. Top mod.
is that on a stock car or one with some breathing mods already in place to take advantage of?

has anyone got comparison graphs of stock vs stock+kpro?

jonster

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
depending on how often to get out in the rex i'd be tempted to put it into that

paul G's track dc5 has no power mods, just suspension/braces, braking and stripped, and he outdid me every which way in my 250bhp dc5 on croft...... mine had power mods, braces and brakes.

its not all about raw power.........
Left me behind at Combe too. Slicks and sorted suspension had a lot to do with it. I had soft road tyres on at the time so I've always wanted another go runing half-slicks on mine :)