Do I sell my ohlins?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ok I'll definately give new springs a go. Can anyone tell from this pic which type they are?

Jacked the car up today to inspect CV joint (which is so bad I've had to park the car up til a new one gets delivered) and noticed that when jacked the springs have about 4 cm of movement up and down. I know when the car is down the suspension sag would take this up but still didn't seem right to me so we moved the collars up so the spring is still just slightly held in place when jacked. The springs are swift 120 if that means anything to anyone? They look stiff as they are really short!

Attachments

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I have another 400kb pic here of the top mount but in trying to upload a second photo I've exceeded my 500kb allowance apparently!

blueguy

Resident J's whore
They clearly show that they are Swift springs (a very good company). However from the number printed on them I would guess they are 12kg/mm at the front. Those are track spring rates and I'm guessing the rears will be suitably more stiffer, no wonder your Mrs is complaining about the ride!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yep those springs are super short too. Sorry I meant can anyone tell me what type of ohlins they are, DFV or PCV?

Hancock

Advanced Member
Thanks. I guess the springs are worth a try. Should still be cheaper than getting second hand oem setup. I'll try and find out a decent spring rate. I'd been told my ohlins were JDM and not able to handle UK roads whatever the setup, that's what put me off them but I'll give a softer setup a go and see how it goes. Cheers everyone
The 120 on the swift spring is 120N/mm which is about 12k.

I would be very wary of using a certain company as i ended up spending a lot of money on my second hand ohlins getting them right. I originally sent mine off to be re-valved "for uk roads" as i was told this is whats needed with jdm "soqi" type. Within 3 months 2 shocks lost all the oil. I sent them back again to be re-done and they came back faulty again, i sent them back a 3rd time and they sent them back with same fault but this time with bearings missing out of the adjusters too.

After speaking to someone else who actually new what they were doing I ended up buying new eibach springs as the old ones were way to stiff for the re valving they had done which was the cause of seals going and he sorted the issue out with the adjusters free of charge.

I hate to bad mouth companies which is why i won't mention them on thread but i'm happy to pm you if you need any more info as my experience was that bad i would hate to see anyone else go through it!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I think I know who you're referring to anyway mate having read some other posts on here. All I could do with is knowing what size/model springs to go for really?

Hancock

Advanced Member
I think I know who you're referring to anyway mate having read some other posts on here. All I could do with is knowing what size/model springs to go for really?
I will measure the springs this weekend think they are 8inch. I went for 8k 10k eibach springs which cost £200 for four, you can get a cheaper ones at around £160 but these prices may have gone up now.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ouch! I was hoping nearer the region of £100 but thats just my nievety!

What does 8k 10k feel like on the road then? Heard some people have gone 6k 8k too.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
i just bought tein monoflex with 7k front and 10k rear. i think you will be alright with that but that is the max for comfortable road driving. Go stiffer and it will be not nice anymore. I think you can also play with spring preload but i'm not sure about how stiffer it will be

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm still thinking about a part ex to be honest. Could do with a bit of cash to put towards one or two other jobs so if anyone is interested in doing a part ex with their FRSU set up PM me.

If I don't get anything over the next couple of days I'll put this up in the Swaps section. Looking around on here I'm still unsure of what I should be asking for in PX value??

Is £500 anywhere near? It sounds like a lot when new units from other companies can be bought for not a lot more. But they are Ohlins worth a lot of money so I should be asking a fair bit I'm guessing otherwise its probably pointless me going to the trouble of doing the swap?

donkeykong

Advanced Member
it depends in what condition your shocks are, if they have to be rebuild soon it will cost a lot of cash.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yep guess I need to give a price range depending on condition. Probably one of those things you have to check when they are off the car? Can't really tell if there is any play in them when it's jacked up.