DO-LUCK FILTER.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Recently ordered the above from Sumo Power. Just received an email informing me that its currently out of stock, coming soon please "bare" with us. I don't often whip me clothes off for people I don't know but seeing it's Sumo Power, what the hell, you're only on this earth once.

Apart from that has anyone had some decent results with the above. I've only got standard inlet and exhaust manifolds so I'm not expecting huge increases BHP and torque.

Regards Granty.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Don't often whip your clothes off for people? You haven't lived! xrofl

Well I run that filter and its perfectly fine from what I can gather. Can't comment on any gains/losses as I swapped out a short ram intake in favour of the quieter oem setup and by 'eck it is quieter. A little too quiet!

If you are looking for any change between standard drop in and this I wouldn't hold your breath. However every little helps as they say so even if it nets an extra 1hp its better than a poke in the eye :)

Granty1056

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Don't often whip your clothes off for people? You haven't lived! xrofl

Well I run that filter and its perfectly fine from what I can gather. Can't comment on any gains/losses as I swapped out a short ram intake in favour of the quieter oem setup and by 'eck it is quieter. A little too quiet!

If you are looking for any change between standard drop in and this I wouldn't hold your breath. However every little helps as they say so even if it nets an extra 1hp its better than a poke in the eye :)
Thanks for the info David. I was expecting a bit more noise with this filter. But as you say if it gives a little bit more poke I'll settle for that. I'm going down to me local pub soon to watch the football. If England win I might whip me shirt off and wave it round me head. LOL.

Regards.

ste01

Advanced Member
I use one and it's fine, just a standard foam drop in filter. It's good value too compared to the others like spoon and mugen, and even good value compared to similar drop in filters in other cars e.g. Seats/VW.

You won't feel anything different but it will be slightly less restrictive and they are reusable, unlike the similar priced Honda OEM ones. Worth the money IMO, then just sort a good feed to the airbox and you're sorted!

Linus27

Advanced Member
I have one also and not noticed any difference but probably never would, it's probably just a better and more efficient filter over OEM.

I have been known to rip my clothes off also occasionally but usually in front of the wrong people :)

ste01

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
I have been known to rip my clothes off also occasionally but usually in front of the wrong people :)
Are you sure that tracker on your car wasn't meant to be put on your ankle?

Rom

Advanced Member
I was going to order one to go with my service plans.
But mine has a Mugen air box, so thought id wait and see whats actually inside. As not sure if they use standard filters, or come with a bad boy jdm Mugen filter.

Was 3 in stock when i looked the other day!

Im expecting at least 10 bhp! Why is it i keep getting told by 'car guys' even an ex Honda tech, that with the right filter an exhaust, you can easily add 30 bhp! I believe i need a 'puffer' according to Honda guy.

In all seriousness though. I 'think' i read a thread saying one was dyno'd and gave 3/4 bhp. Ill see if i can find it, but theres a good chance i just made that up :)

Edit : Seems i didnt dream it.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25828-do-luck-power-filter-via-sumo-power-4-more-bhp-confirmed/

Rom

Advanced Member
Just as well i didnt buy one then!

Id read they were basically an oem box with the hondata mod, in carbon, so wasnt sure.

Well thats got to be 20 bhp then at least ;)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Lol you probably read that from one of my posts, I suppose the type of filter is the one other difference, beautiful piece of kit those Mugen airbox's and one in great condition with all the right bits will net you £300 easy if you decide to switch to another intake :xyes:

Rom

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
Lol you probably read that from one of my posts, I suppose the type of filter is the one other difference, beautiful piece of kit those Mugen airbox's and one in great condition with all the right bits will net you £300 easy if you decide to switch to another intake :xyes:
Cant remember, definitely on here though.

Im hoping it is in good condition, hopefully find out next weekend. Wont make any decisions yet on what route i go. But i do know, i cant see myself buying a J's or Gruppe M!

ste01

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Cant remember, definitely on here though.

Im hoping it is in good condition, hopefully find out next weekend. Wont make any decisions yet on what route i go. But i do know, i cant see myself buying a J's or Gruppe M!
Keep the Mugen pal, unless you want to sell it to make money. Agree about not getting a J's or GruppeM. They do look awesome but "Ram air effect"? Not with their designs! 😂

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Just as well i didnt buy one then!

Id read they were basically an oem box with the hondata mod.
Far from it. Im installing my mugen box when my air filter oil comes

Linus27

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Keep the Mugen pal, unless you want to sell it to make money. Agree about not getting a J's or GruppeM. They do look awesome but "Ram air effect"? Not with their designs!
Just out of interest, why not the J's or GruppeM route? I thought they were highly rated.

Benneh

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Keep the Mugen pal, unless you want to sell it to make money. Agree about not getting a J's or GruppeM. They do look awesome but "Ram air effect"? Not with their designs!
Odd thing to say seeing as both the J's and GruppeM are known and proven to give the biggest performance increases as far as air intakes go on these cars... Plus the noise with a GruppeM is pure ecstasy!

anton1234

Advanced Member
Benneh said:
Odd thing to say seeing as both the J's and GruppeM are known and proven to give the biggest performance increases as far as air intakes go on these cars... Plus the noise with a GruppeM is pure ecstasy!
They give the best gains for high end performance, so in vtec they are good but for everyday driving they loose to much torque in the lower rev range, from my experience around town the car felt gutless with the Gruppe m,

Rom

Advanced Member
I think Ste meant because of the price of them. Thats my standpoint on them at least. And stick with it, as its already on the car when i collect it.

Ive not looked into them much, other than new they are close to a grand. For an induction kit. Id buy a Kpro over that all day long.
Ive yet to find one thread showing proven gains over any other filter. Not saying they dont give gains, just all i see if GruppeM is the best.

Ive never been sold on any kind of ram effect design. Im no expert, but ive done enough training courses, with enough manufactures to have a decent understanding. So im not claiming i know better than GruppeM, Js, or anyone else. I get the more air faster idea.

Inlet manifolds work around pressure, and vacuum. An engine is essentially pumping air, with some fuel thrown in.
Atmospheric pressure, the air all around us, is 14.7 psi at sea level.
If you were to read your MAP sensor, with the engine not running, it should read around 1 bar. 14.7 psi.
A typical inlet pressure reading would be around 300 millibar at idle (4.35 psi)
An inlet manifold pressure during WOT would be around 1 bar, 14.7 psi, atmospheric pressure.

As a piston lowers, it creates a low pressure area, the pressure differential allows the void to be filled by the atmospheric pressure air outside the inlet manifold.

Without getting too in depth, and confusing myself even! A tropical storm, so were talking winds of 39 to 73 mph. Probably a good example of typical road speeds we see regularly. Air pressure in a tropical storm system is around 990 to 1010 millibars, or 14.36 to 14.65 psi.
So not much change from air at 0 mph, to air at 73 mph. So i really do wonder how ram air effect plays a part.
It starts getting into complex equations, laws of temperate to pressure and so on.
I dont know how to calculate to volume differential between 73 mph air pressure, and 0 mph air pressure. I certainly dont know how to factor in IAT.

I would say, that restriction of flow (better design and filter media) is probably where most gains come from.
Matching of inlet tract, throttle body, and plenum size is also an area gains can be made.
So i would expect kits to have improvement here.

Anyway, ive finished rambling now! Point me to a dyno comparrison someone. Ive yet to find one.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks Rom, found that interesting and cements my decision to stick with OEM airbox. Just need to make up my mind if it's worth bothering with the Hondata mod or not :)