do we have a oil light

benny

Advanced Member
just checked my oil, really low, i mean below the 1st hole, luckly ive hardly been driving, should we have a oil light that comes on to warn us that were low on oil, or oil pressure or something?

Livvy

Advanced Member
Comes on when engine fooked. The oil light is a waste of time on these, you should be checking your oil at regular intervals. Don't wait for the light to come on.

mikegsi

Staff member
aye, the oil light only tells you when its too late, regular checks are whats required as we dont have an oil level light

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
YEP :!: These k20 engines do go through a bit of oil so best checking weekly! Especially if your heavy on the right foot :!: :wink:

dobber

Advanced Member
Mine hardly used a drop of oil. Checked mine probably once every 2 weeks for a year and a half and hardly ever had to top it up.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
i take iot your meant to check the oil when engine is cold, say in the morning after an overnighgt stop?

David Fox

Advanced Member
I check mine twice a week when it has its cleaning rituals, ive been topping it up every month - i assume most people do this.

Dave :roll:

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
NO

Check Oil after a drive, let it settle for a few minutes though.

I generally chack after filling with Petrol.

AdrianK said:
i take iot your meant to check the oil when engine is cold, say in the morning after an overnighgt stop?

sh33n

Advanced Member
You need to wait about 20 mins though for the oil to settle to give you an idea of the amount in there, or you may well top it up too much!

benny

Advanced Member
just changed jobs, done about 60 miles in the last 2 month, mostly in v-tec :D been out on bike mostly, regular checks are a must, some tegs do use more oil than others, guess im lucky the oil light never came on then? still sounds sweet and its now full of mobile one,

Boukstraus

Why the big 'NO' to checking oil in the morning after a nights rest?

Surely this gives an acurate reading :?:

kingston

Advanced Member
the oil would have settled and cooled by then so you'd need to warm the engine up and get the oil moving around rather than just sitting at the bottom

no i cant be arsed with spelling and punctuation either

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
It's because the oil expands when it's at operating temperature, so if you fill it to the max when it's cold, it could well go way over when it gets hot.

dan the man

Advanced Member
WTF

this is how i think it works.....

When my engine is stone cold i make my oil just above the max line. My theory is thus- When the engine is running i want the sump full and the engine internals full too. So on HARD cornering my engine has a full sump to supply the oil pickup with oil and also has the chambers full. So im minimising oil starvation as much as i can(yes i have fitted a baffled sump now too to hopefully tottally stop it)

So when its warm im never sure of the reading because..i have no idea how much is in the chambers and how much has drained to the sump.

Anyway each to their own :!:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Tom at TGM was telling me to overfill mine by 5mm before doing any trackday...so its probably best to run slightly over than very low.