Do you keep a service history?

p1tse

Advanced Member
I've enquired on a few and they seem to come with little history.

I understand some enthusiasts DIY services like regular oil changes

But as an owner, if you DIY service, do you keep your receipts of parts purchases, keep a service record, even write in a service book?

albone13

Advanced Member
i try and keep all receipts for everything i buy or replace and just put them in a plastic wallet as not to loose them. when buying a car i would rather see receipts for changed parts than a stamped book as you never no what has been replaced.

Marpol

Advanced Member
I'm the same, done all my own services since the car was imported 4 years ago.
I keep receipts for all the parts and print out a little service schedule showing date, current mileage and work carried out.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
I do all the plugs and bits like that myself. But it goes off to honda for a oil change and a look over. Once a year or when it hits 6k which ever comes first. Also gets a stamp in the book.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Do you know what.

After slamming Torque GT for not providing any service history with the car I found this the other day whilst having a tidy, didn't even know it existed so to Torque I apologise!

Haven't got a clue where it appeared from, really strange. Seemingly it's been serviced at a Nissan dealership in Japan - what's all that about?

DanielJames

Very little of the ones I looked at had any real "service history".

That said it's not something I go for anyway when buying a car. Always more interested in condition.. these cars are enthusiast owned so rarely see a garage unless for major works.

albone13

Advanced Member
i also have that maintenance book have no idea if its ever been stamped but good to have for the next buyer if i ever sell

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
One of my DC5's came with the Japanese service book that had been stamped in Japan and then continued in this country.

My other one came with no history at all and still technically doesn't have any but I have a huge box folder of every receipt for the car which I have dated and put mileages on it. To me this is much better than a service stamp.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm going to get it filled in by my mechanic now that I know I have it.

Will also get Grinspeed to sign or stamp it next time I'm there to show the timing chain, Aux belt and valve clearances have been done.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Yeah – mine has all the Jap history with it and some Honda history since import. I think it‘s missing 2 UK stamps.

I‘ve had it for a year and plan to fire it at TDI North every 6k or 12 months for an oil change and other service parts.

I think it probably helps to sell a car with history, but many enthusiasts are pretty handy and will know that work done by them is to a good standard. Whether someone places more emphasis on resale value or saving some cash and servicing their car themselves really depends on them.

Stokes

I do it all myself, just keep the receipt and write on the the date and mileage.
It's also one of the reasons I have a build thread.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Does a service history really pay for itself? I have never paid for an oil service in my life but from what i hear they are about £120? (I could be wrong on the price) I cant see the value coming back. I have replaced the clutch in my car for just the price of the clutch. Now if i wanted a stamp in the book I would have paid another 500 on top of that. I don't think a stamp is worth 500. I don't put much value on a service history of this type car.

I have that Honda service book somewhere also, I remember seeing it in my room. I must dig it out and have a look through it see if there are any stamps or anything on it. I have one of those large ring binder folders absolutely full of receipts and invoices. I have an excel sheet which has everything I ever bought for the car, for example it even includes normal 10mm washers I bought. No dates on anything that I fitted though, but I think I have some dates/mileage on oil changes.

ShoryuKEN

Mine has no real service history either but it's evidently been looked after. Average people don't buy DC5's only enthusiasts do so I highly doubt anyone who owns these cars will neglect servicing them, they are very looked after compared to other cars. Service history also means squat, it's very easy to get your booked fraudulently stamped. When I buy a car, I buy on the condition I see it in and and how it drives when I'm testing it. No point in buying a shed just cause it has stamps in a book......it could still be falling apart in every other sense. Paid for oil changes don't make a car a good example especially when too many other factors matter like clutch health, gearbox, chassis integrity, interior condition etc that could all be in awful shape despite having full service history.

dotty

Advanced Member
Mine has a complete service history from Japan, an initial service from Honda in UK on import and the rest of this history is backed up with stamps and receipts ( previous owner had it serviced at TGM for 3 years ) and I've had it since 2010 and it's always been to TGM for work.

dotty

Advanced Member
TypeRich said:
I think it's a good thing to have.
Your car would totally fit scrawnban's criteria, and you're selling up, I'm sure he will snap it up as he has the funds available to buy if I remember correctly, would save him having to import one of his own as you're on his doorstep too right ?

scrawnban

dotty said:
Your car would totally fit scrawnban's criteria, and you're selling up, I'm sure he will snap it up as he has the funds available to buy if I remember correctly, would save him having to import one of his own as you're on his doorstep too right ?
Considered buying it the first time it came up for sale. Beautiful example but I want a face lift and I'm still going the import road. I want something standard to make my own.