Do you wait for your engine to warm up?

Do you wait for the engine to warm?

• I wait for the water temperature needle to start moving above the min-marker

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I let it idle for at least 1 minute

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I drive off right away but not over 3,000 RPM

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • I don't care :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

spooke

Advanced Member
Couldn't think of a proper title, but I'm curious to know how you all start driving your DC5. I had a search and couldn't find a majority so let's find out :)

Recently I read that letting the car idle to warm up is quite bad for the engine, what are your views?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
When I had my na teg I would wait maybe 30 seconds to get the fluids going then set off if I had time... Otherwise you're just sitting there wasting fuel as it warms up while you drive anyway. Just don't go above 3 or 4k revs while it's cold.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Letting it sit there and idle until it's warm is pointless, it'll warm up much quicker if you start driving it.

The quicker it's warmer the better, you just need to do it with your sensible head on.

Take it easy until the engine is up to temperature, as Luke says...Keep the revs low, and once she's warm, the sky's the limit, Well atleast 9K of it anway, haha.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I rag it as soon as it's started...

Ha joking, I keep the heaters on cold which helps it warm up quicker but drive off straight away, keeping below 4k for the first 5/10 mins.

Fez

Advanced Member
I drive it straight away, blowers on coldish. Dont go over about 3.5k til the temp is normal.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I always wait for all to warm up before I start driving a bit more spirited, also give it a few miles low revs or wait a few minutes after just to let her cool down

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I always let it turn over for a minute or so then drive off, hardly hit vtec in my commute to work, so when I do usually at weekends and all ways fully warmed up,

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Once started I normally leave it a minute or 2 before driving off but never take it over 3k until its fully warmed up.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Mine lives in the garage, so by the time its out, garage is locked up and im in place its normally been running for 1-2 minutes anyway. If its not in garage I will wait about minute then drive off steady

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I start and let it run for 30 odd seconds then do one.

Mine revs its nuts off so I'd rather just get moving and let it pull off itself.

I tend to sit in 3rd or 4th for a few minutes as I only work 2 miles up the road, that's when I use the car for work obviously. Apart from that, 3rd 4th for a few mins and then into a high gear and let it warm. I never VTEC it for at least 10 mins.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Religiously, at least 10/15 min driving low revs and light throttle position and then all hell breaks loose. As luke says, don't use heaters either to speed process up. I'd rather remain cold and have vtec back asap lol

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

spooke

Advanced Member
Thanks for the response all, looks like tomorrow I'm going to keep my heaters off when I start up and will be driving off after a minute of waiting haha...

I've always waited till it got to normal temperature before driving it hard anyway, but I waited for it to warm up by idling.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
When i had my first car.. A renault megane coupe 2.0 8v..

It was SO much faster when first started lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My mate does what I call the "Pre flight check"

He sits in the car, waits for it to warm and let the revs drop. He fucks about tinkering with his heaters, his seating position everything ha ha!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
When i had my first car.. A renault megane coupe 2.0 8v..

It was SO much faster when first started lol
Haha. my best mate used to redline his 1.2 Clio literally 5 seconds after firing the thing up. It loved it (We think). Must be a French thing lol.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
My mate does what I call the "Pre flight check"

He sits in the car, waits for it to warm and let the revs drop. He fornicates about tinkering with his heaters, his seating position everything ha ha!
Does he work for Ryanair or something haha.