does age make a difference?

SKING666

Do you think a more expensive newer car is a better buy than an older model
BUT they both have the same mileage?

when your buying do you go off condtion only or age as well?

firthy22

Advanced Member
Depends what you want in a car and how long you intend to keep it for.

If you are bothered about resale value then a newer model is better. It also depends if there was any changes to the model between two different aged cars.

ie a 2003/2004 DC5 would be almost identical but a 2004/2005 model could be quite different as they changed to the facelift model in 2005 so slightly different looks and better suspension.

Assuming the cars are the same and no revision between them I personally would go for an older car with less miles and better condition. Rust isn't usually a problem these days so age difference is minor IMO. Condition, mileage, service history are more important than age. Better a car thas a couiple of years older that has been well maintained and driven than a newer car that has been hammered with dings and scratches.

SKING666

ive been looking at 2003's and facelifts with about 30k on them
the car will be a daily runner!

firthy22

Advanced Member
Exactly what I was after and for the same purpose.

I managed to pick up a 2004 with 32k miles for £8800. Although I had to fly to Belfast and take 2 ferry trips to get it back to island.

Had a bit of a brainstorm on this one as it had no service history but I was assured that it had been regularly serviced and was in excellent condition. I went to Ireland never having seen the car and it was a pure gamble which would have cost me almost £300 in wasted fares if it turned out to be a dog.

As it happened it was almost immaculate. Interior was perfect, few stone chips on front and engine was smooth and quiet and no rattles or knocks from anything. Using it every day for work and it hasn't missed a beat so the gamble paid off but I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing this. Turns out the 18 year old who owned the car couldn't afford to insure it (£4.5k quoted) and an older friend in his 30's drove it and met me at the airport.

But good low mileage DC5's are hard to find so sometimes you have to take a risk and go on gut instinct after you contact the person and see if they appear genuine.