Does/could the INSIDE of the headlights turn yellow as well?

wywywywy

Hi all,

So the headlights on my DC5 were a bit yellow-ish, and I went on to polish them with Meguiars ScratchX on a Meguiars DA polisher. I did that twice.

They are much better now. However, there's still a hint of yellow.

Could it be that the inside has turned yellow?

Or is it just a case me not polishing it enough? If this is the case then I may have to attempt wet & dry...

Thanks.

nellly

Advanced Member
once the UV coating has gone no matter how much you polish it always seams to yellow again, you will need to wet and dry the lights to get them looking perfect but how long that will last is any ones guess. most people on here just take the jump and buy new lights depends on how bad yours are of course.

XavP

Advanced Member
I have this problem too,

No matter how many times I polish them up they just keep going cloudy after a while.

But finally I am about to put in an order for some new ones with Hendy Performance :xgrin:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine's in getting a detail at the moment and he's wet sanded mine as they'd fogged up badly, they were machine polished only 2 years ago they're a nightmare it just happens with them sadly.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Ive seen wet sanding of not so bad ones looking great, but all that does is potentially speed up the process of them turning yellow if you aren't hot on keeping on top of them, but on the other hand, ive seen some wet sanded polished up and even re lacquered and still if im perfectly honest look horrible. They may be better to the owner as they only have terrible before images to compare too, but pull up next to one with brand new headlights and the difference is night and day.

Only real fix is new im afraid, all other temp fixes will cloud up again in no time and yes the inside can go aswell. UV from the sun against plastic will always loose.

In short yes you can make them look better, but getting new will literally tranform the look of the car massively. My vote is get saving for new ones, you won't regret it :)

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Dam it I've been cutting mine back but I can see me shelling out for a new set

Thebear84

Advanced Member
Just bought my teg and lights are only thing that makes it look it's age. I work in a body shop and we have special uv lacquer. I've done a few now we have been repairing lights with scratchs in them. Gonna try soon I think...... I'll keep you all posted!

truupR

Advanced Member
Fahad on here done a pretty cool trick to save a few quid. He bought the RSX lights from the states for less than half the price, swapped the plastic lenses from the RsX ones onto the original DC5 housing/internals. Brand new looks whilst staying UK RHD beam direction. Think I may do it myself... Almost 400 quid for a slight cosmetic improvement seems a tad steep when you think of what else you could be spending that money on :/

edit: and to add to the original question - yes I do think the insides go yellow too given the headlights are renowned for fogging up with condensation during the colder months. I wet/dry sanded mine for a second time around 3 weeks ago. Finished them up with the DA. Looking at them earlier when the headlights were on, they still had a tinge of yellow when looking side on at the lights. When the lights are off they look crystal clear.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Mine appear to have cracked quite badly. I had mine detailed and as above, when the lights are off they look good but soon as theyre turned on the cracking looks horrendous. Really don't want to dish out that sort of money for replacements by I think I might have to as well :(

Benpinners

If you wet sand and polish them back up, isn't there a spray that you can buy to Protect against uv, then with a layer of wax or sealant every once and a while, should have them holding out a little longer ?

Teggs

Despite all the attention you may pay on the lenses, at the end of the day you are dealing with 15 year old plastic which is probably well and truly fucked from UV's, I tried to refurbish mine and great in the short term but it's diminishing returns, a pain to replace something that is servicable, but probably worth it for a freshener. I'm starting a kickstarter to get my lights done, £350.00 gets you a signature and a photo, join the back of the queue! :xaiweb2: