Does my bonnet catch look bent?

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Does my bonnet catch look bent to you guys?

Normally I can open the bonnet catch with one hand but today it took two hands and a hell of a lot of fiddling around to get it to turn and open up. I'm guessing if it's bent, it was the local MOT place, as they would've been the last ones to open the bonnet other than me

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
You will need a new mate, I had to replace mine has I had trouble opening it iirc they are about £50 but make sure you get the right one PF DOES NOT have a plug on it FL DOES hope that helps

Chewy

Advanced Member
Gordydc5 said:
You will need a new mate, I had to replace mine has I had trouble opening it iirc they are about £50 but make sure you get the right one PF DOES NOT have a plug on it FL DOES hope that helps
I recall not so long ago the PFL replacement was £25-30 from Honda (without plug) and the FL was £55-65 (With plug).

I can't seem to find the thread that contained the part numbers and prices though...

gaza4

Advanced Member
DC5Jacks pics wont load for me but i'd be interested to see how bent it is. I had some trouble opening my bonnet once or twice before but I can easily bend the arm back into place.

Regarding this plug people are talking about on the FL, what is that???

Chewy

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
DC5Jacks pics wont load for me but i'd be interested to see how bent it is. I had some trouble opening my bonnet once or twice before but I can easily bend the arm back into place.

Regarding this plug people are talking about on the FL, what is that???
Looks like it's bent a good inch or 2 to the right.

Facelift latch assembly has a wiring loom plug on the end of it.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies guys. Don't know why the pics have stopped loading.

Not many people have been have been able to the bonnet on my car i've always had to do it for them, everyone always tries to push it to the right instead of twisting it. I'm guessing thats what the MOT people have done here.

Looking at it again I don't think the actual catch is bent, it looks like its just the lever. I'll try and bend it back and see how it opens, if I can't bend it back in place I'll take it off and get one of the machine shops I work with to straighten it out for me.

(Edit: Hopefully the pics work now in the original post)

Jack

gaza4

Advanced Member
ay yeah mine went like this before, i just bent it back. its a very light metal no need to go to a machine shop with it.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Yea didn't think it would need to, Just got options if i need it. I'll bend it back today and see how it works.

Jack

Gems

Advanced Member
Mines gone exactly the same. It takes me absolutely forever to get my bonnet open. I'll be ordering one from Honda I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teggs

I feel that Honda probably have some of the best engineers on the planet, but I don't know who the frig designs the bonnet mechanisms, is it one of the CEO's kids? Outsourced to VW? Friday afternoon programming mistake? Or do they just assume that all the other engineers haven't done their job properly if you ever need to open the bonnet!?

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
As above new one from Honda is under £20, it's a poor design. Even when new there is play in the arm because it's riveted on.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
I bent it back into place easy enough, my regular garage know how to open it properly, it's just the MOT garage I have to use is full of numptys but they're quick and pass my car. I'll just have to show them how to open it next year or they can pay for the new catch and repair.

Jack