does my track rod end look right?

brucey87

Advanced Member
iv been getting a clunking noise sometimes when i turn to park or pull off iv only had this problem since iv lowered it. does this track rod end look right? its leaning forward, is it supposed to be flat. if somebody could upload a pic of thier track rod end with oem suspension it would be much appreciated.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yes track rod end looks fine , it is at quite an angle, is your car very low?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Mine was eventually diagnosed as a knackered ARB bush - some oil had got on it and softened it, so the ARB could move when the wheel was turned to a certain point.

brucey87

Advanced Member
ah ok il get the bushes checked out. car isnt overly low prob 30mm something like that? iv got a set of inverted track rod ends from TGM but just didnt bother fitting them as paul hughes on here said they are not needed. do you think it will sit flat with them fitted?

Evs

Advanced Member
That looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about it.

The idea of inverted TREs is to attach the track rod underneath the steering arm on the damper casing, so that it levels out the track rod from side to side. If you were able to see the rod when looking at the car from the front, then the track rod would be level ie the end at the damper casing would be the same height as the end at the steering rack, IYSWIM.

I don't know why it's at that angle in the pic, inverted TREs wouldn't fix that, but it seems to be within the normal range of movement of the TRE. I'd have a look at it to see if you can twist it by hand or (gently) with a spanner, just to make sure the TRE hasn't seized up. If you can move it from where it is to level and to the same angle the other way then it's fine.

HTH.