Does spoon 2-1 cause strange noise?

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I am thinking about swapping the std manifold to a spoon 2-1 section with decat straight after my MOT is done, but have heard people saying that with the spoon manifold fitted it creates a strange ticking noise?

I wondered if this was only with the full manifold or will it do it with just the 2-1, as i have enough worrying noises already!

luffy

Advanced Member
do you mean the spoon 4-2 ? as the 2-1 is the cat part ?

if you mean the 4-2 section then yes it does make a funny noise, almost like there is i tiny gap somewhere and it is whistling. i didn't like it at first but now it's quite soothing when i put my foot down. spoon does give good gains thouygh so i am told but i have yet to dyno my car

AdrianK

Advanced Member
ah well seems from that that both parts do, i was/am only going to buy the 2-1 part. I guess ill just get it put on and see what i think of it.

linzi94

Advanced Member
i just fitted a 4-2 and 2-1 today and i have this strange noise only at certain revs... must be ok then! panic over!

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I had the 2-1 fitted with the standard 4-2 and it made a loud ticking noise when I put the engine under load, i.e tried to accelerate too fast in a high gear. Had the 4-2 fitted a couple of weeks ago and thought it might help but it hasn't. You just get used to it to a certain extent. It actually sounds raspy at times when accelerating fast, so I put up with it :roll:

AdrianK

Advanced Member
did the 2-1 cause any other differences to the noise, more pops or any general increase in volume?

Im rhinking i might just leave the manifold standard now.

Tim_85

I had the spoon 4-2 and 2-1 fitted a few months ago by Paul at TDi North. Before I even got back in the car he warned me about this noise and said you wouldn't belive the amount of customers that come back thinking somethin is wrong. He assured me it was all normal so I had no worries. It was very wierd for the first couple of days as mine is extremely loud (sounds like a bloody helicoper at full throttle :shock: ) but it is definately the best modifaction I have done and you get used to it very quickly. Mid-range and top end see a good improvement, VTEC crossover sounds even more mental and it pops like crazy coming down the revs. The teg is a car solely made for drivers. It makes loads of wierd and wonderful noises even standard. They are all part of what makes the Teg what it is. If I was after a quiet car I would have bought an Audi :D

Hope this could be of some help to u!