Does this look legit or an obvious lemon?

Shaggy

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I've always loved the DC5 and it has been my ambition to own one ever since passing my test 4 years ago. I currently have a Fiesta ST which is a nice enough car but am now in a position where I can finally buy my dream car. I've browsed the usual classifieds for months/years and came across this car for sale which is only half an hour away from me. However it seems far too cheap for what it is. My thoughts are it's probably been in a crash or something like that, also the lack of exact mileage and at a guess no service history are off putting. Just wanted to see if anybody knew of the car or had any thoughts on it.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/integra/honda-2001/1019085

Many thanks, Shaggy,

eXceed

Resident Driver
Hi, er, Shaggy... Truth is these are now 10 year old cars, you're unlikely to see any kind of service history anymore unless imported directly from Japan...

I'd not be to worried at that, and that being a 2001 model is the oldest model available in the DC5 body/style. As such you would expect it to be priced lower than others, only weird thing is no mention of proper mileage... Although that's usually because they are converted as they're shipped over here which makes things difficult to track.

All I can say is give the car a test drive and see how it feels.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Hardly an inspiring advert is it!..
With that reg. I bet somebody will recognise the car, probably an enthusiast. No doubt the dealer doesn't have a clue!
Have a look and take somebody with who knows these cars. Have a look in the forum classifieds too, that's where I'd be checking.

Good luck

Mark_teg

Staff member
Also, I disagree with you exceed/Wayne(?). Fresh imports don't usually have history but when in the uk they tend to build up a good service history (even if its just receipts for fluids, filters etc).

viper1984

Advanced Member
I agree. Wouldn't touch a car without service history, plenty of good examples out there with it.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Looks as if it could be rough. But to be honest, no point in asking us to speculate get in your Fiesta and go and see it! :xwavey:

oldpainless

Advanced Member
Hey Shaggy,
I have a 2001 with very little service history, just receipts and bills for oil changes etc but like the others say go and drive it, listen for any odd noises from engine, tapping etc, check oil and cap for any mayo build up etc. The engines are (usually) bullet proof and should not rattle, tap or make any weird noises (unless you hit Vtec which is a nice noise). Use your common sense, take your time and have a good poke around. I think there is a thread somewhere on here that provides buying advice so have a look for it or take someone with you that also has a Teg.

cheers
Ben

davidpingu

Advanced Member
At the age these cars are getting to now I'd be more concerned with bodywork myself. Check for obvious signs of crash damage and check it properly for signs of rust. Check the underside of the floor pan and all around the chassis legs throughthe engine bay .
Also check the bootwell thoroughly and i don't mean a quick peak. Take the spare wheel out and look properly. Also check the panel that faces towards the rear bumper. You can do this from the inside by pulling up the plastic trim that runs along the bonnet catch. They are just poppers. Give that panel a good tap all over with something and providing its solid at least you know any rust on the outside of that panel behind the bumper is surface rust that can be easily removed.

The rest of it mechanically is fairly bullet proof as said. Things can still go wrong but in extreme cases an engine can always be repaired whereas once it's got substantial rot setting in its often a loosing battle unless you have the time and money to completely strip everything

dotty

Advanced Member
Also, I disagree with you exceed/Wayne(?). Fresh imports don't usually have history but when in the uk they tend to build up a good service history (even if its just receipts for fluids, filters etc).
Exactly. Mine goes back to Japan and I've got all its history since import.

Benny-coupe

Advanced Member
I would be looking in the classified section on here , there's nothing like knowing a background story behind a car your looking at , this forum is a haven of information and enthusiasts

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I emailed the seller of that white one when looking at mine. First email was asking if it was still available to which I was told it was. Second email I sent was asking details of the car to which I got no response.

I left it at that...

But since your close best thing to do is go and have a look at it. Driving from Edinburgh to just look at it when the seller wouldn't respond to my emails was too much.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Benny-coupe said:
I would be looking in the classified section on here , there's nothing like knowing a background story behind a car your looking at , this forum is a haven of information and enthusiasts
This!

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Some people really don't know how to advertise cars properly.

Service history doesn't bother me to much well not the jap stuff really. Uk as long as there is evidence of oil changes etc am happy. Usually when looking at a car you can get a quick sense as to whether its looked after IMO.

itrsarg

Advanced Member
Go for it no service history wouldn't bother me, it would more so on a Subaru or evo for instance.