Donnington 22nd July Full Day

g-zone

Advanced Member
That's a drive by limit though, so you're car would have to be pretty damn loud to break that.

mikegsi

Staff member
drive by limit!! i was hoping it was a static check limit, some of us nearly failed the 98db static check at croft didnt we dave!! :wink:

g-zone

Advanced Member
Well with a drive by, the db meters are further away (presumably) so your car would have to be louder to break the limit.

A static test is only six inches or so away, granted its normally done at 75% power.

mikegsi

Staff member
g-zone said:
A static test is only six inches or so away, granted its normally done at 75% power.
and by only 'feathering' the pedal and being static the true noise of vtec didnt kick in, otherwise game over for me i reckon!

i would like to find out what my drive by and static figures are, be very useful to know rather than paying my money and risking loosing it!

g-zone

Advanced Member
Bookatracks description for their noise test is:

# 98dB Drive-By. Measured from track-side.

# 100dB Static. 0.5m and 45° from exhaust at ¾ maximum RPM.

# Static tests are only on vehicles failing the drive-by noise limit.

It's possible you could hire a db meter from somewhere and test it yourself. Maybe donnington park will test it for you like they do at Bedford. Might be worth giving the circuit a call to find out.

Dave SS

Rob Birkinshaw's silver CTR failed Doni last year, that's with Spoon header and Scorpion cat-back iirc :?
I used my oem backbox to be safe.

they're really strict, a lad from Honda-R just scraped under 98db in an S2000 using the bung with his Spoon N1 :lol:

DP.

Advanced Member
if your car is borderline then just take it a little easy when going past the sound meter.. thats what most people do lol

mikegsi

Staff member
and mine will soon be much quieter too (well from the back end anyway!!) but not in time for this though!

Dave SS

fitted my OEM backbox today and boy does it make a difference after running the full Spoon system :shock: :lol:

Might end up doing Doni after all 8)

Jayk

Advanced Member
donington park is a feck for it, the db sensor in on the start/finish, stay to the right of the track before moving to the left before redgate.

when i was there last in the vx220, my friend popped along in his dc5, he last 3 laps before being black flagged. saying that, his exhaust is stupidly loud. after being measured his car was louder than matt neils dc5.

just be careful, as if you got slowly past start/finish and gun it around the rest of the track they will still get you and do a static test.

streaming vtecs with full system are easily over 98db.