Don't think my vtec is engaging properly

aaronek4

I think my vtec isn't engaging properly it revs up to the redline but you can't hear the crossover was in a friends ep3 and you could clearly hear the change in cams compared to mine both standard cars . Can anyone help don't have any warning lights on and oil level is fine

DC5RS

DC5
aaronek4 said:
I think my vtec isn't engaging properly it revs up to the redline but you can't hear the crossover was in a friends ep3 and you could clearly hear the change in cams compared to mine both standard cars . Can anyone help don't have any warning lights on and oil level is fine
Which filter + exhaust you have? might be the noise isn't as your friend's ep3

Fez

Advanced Member
Every standard ep3 i have been in has a slight dip before vtec, where as the dc5 doesn't, so the ep3 'kick' seems bigger because the drop just before it.

Whats quicker out of the 2 of you? You should be. If you are then everythings okay lol

Mark_teg

Staff member
I wouldn't advise racing either, not on public roads anyway!

Check your intake hose - OEM is prone to splitting, especially with the Gruppe/Teg M fitted.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
You should notice a serge in power slightly once it kicks in.

I thought with a tegiwa m you would defiently be able to hear it kick in. That intake is so loud! Constantly hissing as it sucks in air.

SimonJames

Advanced Member
try cleaning the vtc filter, been saying for a while mine has been feeling slow just kept putting it down to getting used to the car, but the other week i cleaned filter out and car goes much better, vtec engages strong now with a noticeableengine note change

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I'm running tegiwa intake and mugen exhaust, I can definitely tell when vtec engages, through noise alone. Volume level is night and day on and off vtec.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
Again I have Gruppe M and Mugen Twinloop, Can 100% tell from Induction noise on crossover and should definitely be able to feel the surge in power.

As said maybe try cleaning the little Mesh/Filter in the VTEC Solenoid can get clogged up.

EDIT: Just noticed the age of this thread, would be eager to find out if he resolved the issue.

spooke

Advanced Member
SimonJames said:
try cleaning the vtc filter, been saying for a while mine has been feeling slow just kept putting it down to getting used to the car, but the other week i cleaned filter out and car goes much better, vtec engages strong now with a noticeableengine note change
That's interesting, intermittently I feel my VTEC doesn't crossover particularly aggressive but I just put it down to the weather or heatsoak. Might whip the solenoid off and check!