Door lock mechanism

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has had this issue?

Key in the door lock but wont turn.. Worried as if my battery ever dies im screwed as i have no other way into the car.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

And how did you go around it?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Just thought id post this up as no one got back to me and im assuming no one has EVER had this issue before me lol

I took the key and locks to a locksmith and he said the key was the issue even though it was turning the ignition so he suggested cutting a new key again which he did with no success so i was on looking for replacement dc5 lock with key with iginition barrel or else just the door mechanism and key.

I then came across the below item on ebay which was a 96-01 civic or 95-01 crv door barrel with keys new.

They both looked the same so i took a chance and bought them and they arrived on Saturday.

These fit PERFECTLY and work PERFECTLY and for £18 posted i cant complain as it gives me peace of mind if the battery dies.

So for future ref these will work!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Nice fix.

Is it not possible to make up one from the new barrel and old innards? Would be very fiddley but I have managed it in the past with other types of wafer locks. Must be worth taking the old one to bits.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
So do you have the spare key purely for mechanical entry if needed, and the main key for starting?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Nice fix.

Is it not possible to make up one from the new barrel and old innards? Would be very fiddley but I have managed it in the past with other types of wafer locks. Must be worth taking the old one to bits.
Hi,

Its the actual fiddly bits inside the barrel which are the problem and obviously linked to the key if it was the barrel then id be laughing and id use the original fiddly bits and my original key.

This is purely to get jnto the car incase the battery dies so im happy enough with now having 2 keys

alan-lee

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
So do you have the spare key purely for mechanical entry if needed, and the main key for starting?
Yeah basically the new barrels come with their own key so ill use that purely if the battery dies and i need into the car