Double din install question...

Erm

Advanced Member
Hi guys, new double din just arrived, gonna fit this afternoon but does anyone know the easiest place to access to ground the parking brake wire to save me some time later? Somewhere easy to get to and secure in place. Not sure I want to wrap it around the metal cage of the head unit, if theres a screw or bolt somewhere easy to get to I can loosen, wrap it around and tighten back up that would probably be ideal then wouldn't have to worry about it coming loose.

Also where have you all put the mic for your built in bluetooth hands free? Any pics of installs so I can decide where I want to put mine.

Erm

Advanced Member
Ezza said:
Is this so that you can watch videos whilst on the move?
Edited original post....

No its not for that, its so I can access the mirror link software that comes with it that does full mirroring of my phone so I can use internet radio like tune in radio for the horse racing etc

Otherwise from what I can see from the app it will only let you listen to music, sat nav or access phone book whilst handbrake is down

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I recently grounded mine, to a screw that sits behind the centre console you remove, behind where the bottom of the 12v socket panel sits, job done.

My Mic sits next to the steering wheel, clipped onto the dash, will get a pic for you.....

*EDIT here you go.... wire just tucks away behind the dash. Might get in the way when you adjust the wheel, but my thinking was once it's set, you don't move it, lol.

Erm

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:
I recently grounded mine, to a screw that sits behind the centre console you remove, behind where the bottom of the 12v socket panel sits, job done.

My Mic sits next to the steering wheel, clipped onto the dash, will get a pic for you.....
Perfect just what I was hoping for! Thanks mate

A pic would be ideal if you could!

Erm

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:

*EDIT here you go.... wire just tucks away behind the dash. Might get in the way when you adjust the wheel, but my thinking was once it's set, you don't move it, lol.

Perfect thanks for that. I've adjusted the wheel once in 10 years, I think I'll be safe lol.

Want to get the heck out of work so I can go and get this installed whilst its still nice and sunny!

Erm

Advanced Member
bloody hell 2 hours later can't get old head unit out still...... the wanker installer who put it in decided to replace one of the screws that holds the old cage in place with some bodge job meaning I cant get enough purchase on the nut he put on to get the old cage out, and it seems he's put the old head unit in the old double din cage so can't get the old headunit out until I get the cage out.....

If I can't figure out a way to get it out will have to take out the whole centre console as the angle its in is ridiculous

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hope you sort it soon...I connected my wire to the black earth wire in the existing ICE loom,works fine xthumbup

Erm

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
Hope you sort it soon...I connected my wire to the black earth wire in the existing ICE loom,works fine xthumbup
cheers, gonna have to raid the toolbox of the mechanic at work to see if he's got anything that gives me a better angle to try and undo this bastard nut thats stopping me getting the old one out. What should have been a 20 minute job has turned into a nightmare

Erm

Advanced Member
Got it installed.... amazing how easy things are when you have the right tool lol

Absolutely love it. Full mirroring of my android phone so was browsing the forum on it hehe

Erm

Advanced Member
Went for the Sony XAV-601BT

Installed the drivelink app thats been tinkered with by the clever people on the android forums to allow full mirroring, so streams whatevers on my phones screen onto the head unit screen and can be controlled from the headunits screen... very cool stuff, any app runs on it.

Well impressed with it.... Can play anything with bluetooth audio streaming from spotify or google play music so unlimited music on the go. As well as music/video off usb stick, or cd/dvd.

Sat nav runs off drivelink and my phone. All for only £280. Bargain!

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Erm said:
Got it installed.... amazing how easy things are when you have the right tool lol

Absolutely love it. Full mirroring of my android phone so was browsing the forum on it hehe
Glad you got it sorted,

Erm

Advanced Member
Gordyitrdc5 said:
Glad you got it sorted,
Cheers.... Here's a pic of it in place (need to either alter the surround that came with the unit as its slightly too big to fit in the gap or DIY it like Porthos has done)

Its really hard taking a pic of something thats display is mirroring your phones display LOL! Thats why its showing a picture of a picture of it x infinity... notice the phone's camera buttons on the screen however can be fully controlled from the headunit