Double din removable facia

Allen

Advanced Member
Looking to replace my crappy head unit. Want to go double din but finding it hard to find one with a removable fascia, does such a thing exsist? :?

crxvtec

Advanced Member
No.

you're limiting yourself by going Double DIN - the best sounding head units are single DIN.

Why not get a Single DIN HU and use the bottom DIN slot for a centre channel speaker? Alpine make one ;)

Allen

Advanced Member
Better sounding? Didnt think it would make a difference what din it was.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep if you're looking for top end features like nice DACs, big preouts or high res screens they tend to be on single DIN rathe rthan Double DIN units - you have a much better choice if you stick to single DIN.

neilmac

Exactly why i went single din. Also audio unit sits in a prominent place in the dash on an fd2 & felt a double din touch screen would be an invitation for some thieving low life scumbag.

Allen

Advanced Member
Thats whats putting me off double din, no way of removing it.
Have to rethink my choice it think.
Cheers for ya input 8)

crxvtec

Advanced Member
no worries matey - by the way I think an IDA-X001 would look fab in your FD2...oh look, I have one for sale! :D

neilmac

Thanks for the offer but already bought a cda 9887r. Couldn`t live with relying just on an ipod. Not a huge fan of compressed audio files. Although some of the lossless formats ain`t too bad. I`m still a big fan of the old vinyl format at home so conversion to some of these newfangled formats don`t come easy!

crxvtec

Advanced Member
THe thing with digital audio is if you don't like compressed, don't compress! I am an audiophile so I need the best in sound - I have ripped my best DDD CDs to Apple Lossless and coming through the 24bit Burr Brown DACs of the IDA-X001, the sound is magnificent. Don't miss my CD player at all.

Most double din are fixed unit's. Because of the way they are fitted it means that they are more difficult to steal when compared to a standard single din. For example a single din can be removed in less that 30 seconds while a double din will take 5-10 minutes to undo the dash and undo all the bolts holding the unit in place. Although a face-off is a good way of deterring thieves it will not stop them breaking in the off chance that the face has been left in the glovebox. It happened to a customer recently and they totally destroyed the dash in his mr2 even though the face wasn't there !!

On the subject of quality, double-din's are of no lesser quality that single din's. Just like SD's (single din's) there is a good range available, from the cheap £200 units to the £2000+ unit's with burr-brown chip's, and touchscreen tft. Unit's like the Kenwood 8029 and Alpine w202 offer excellent quality audio in the larger double-din format. The larger display also makes controlling an ipod much easier. With more car manufacturers now opting to go for this size of unit there will be a greater range of units available in the next few years.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Not quite so - in a DC5 a single DIN is fitted in the same way as a double DIN so only the most determined thief is going to sit there for 30 mins trying to undo all the bolts needed.

Faceoff - agreed people will still try to break in to see if the face is in the car or try to jack your main unit without the face anyway - it's happened and they often chew the dash in the process.

Double DINs are of no lesser quality than single DINs however the best SQ head units are without exception Single DIN units as this is the more popular form factor. You still get a better choice of single DIN units than double DIN units simply because of the market size - however this is changing over time - double DIN units are becoming more widespread as touchscreens get better/cheaper.

However the best iPod controller is a single DIN Alpine IDA-X001. Double DIN ipod controllers are nowhere close in usability, even though they do have a bigger screen.

I do look forward to a Double DIN version that can play video with the sort of resolution that it deserves - many touchscreen double DIN units today have very poor resolution and can't even do a DVD justice as they lack 480 lines of resolution.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Just got a kenwood double din fitted as my old stereo was gash.

With the amount of bolts and my CAT 1 alarm it would be a miracle if the got it out in under 12 - 20 minutes.

Great unit, great price.