Downshifting.. what areyour thoughts?

lujamil

Advanced Member
So I was just reading thread on an American forum and they were going on about how downshifting hurts the clutch?

I'm not too sure if it has a major impact on the clutch if your matching the revs (obviously not downshifting when your already at high revs), but nevertheless I don't see how I could have such a high revving car and not downshift? Surely it's one of my fav things about the k20. Dropping a gear around a bend, can't see myself enjoying it more in a different car.

What are your thoughts? Do you guys downshift much?

Although this isn't honda related, it sure is influencing :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q4OpGCfME

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yep I'd say downshifting is all part of driving the car. Yeh I guess it will add more wear to your clutch but in the same way that using your brakes later prematurely wears your pads and discs.

If it were a car purely for getting around and cheap motoring I'd say yes avoid downshifting as you don't generally need to but these cars are track cars so the increased cost on consumables of driving them this way should be factored in to ownership costs I think. Just as you say, don't shift down in vtec or that may be slightly more expensive!

Vtec'd mine yesterday in 2nd and felt it go in to 1st instead of 3rd! Luckily I noticed it before letting off the clutch so corrected it!

lujamil

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Vtec'd mine yesterday in 2nd and felt it go in to 1st instead of 3rd! Luckily I noticed it before letting off the clutch so corrected it!
That would have been bad :/

I honestly couldn't not downshift. Downshifting and vtech-ing have become bad habbits of mine. :xhaha:

Ek9.

heel and toe isn't that difficult to learn-just takes practice.
you can practice it in every day driving situations
it'll make your driving a lot smoother

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I think its ridiculous to say dont downshift as it wears the clutch, these are track cars out the box, its what they are made for.

Yeah it will wear your clutch faster than if you didnt downshift, but its the same as having a Lambo/Ferrari or whatever and locking it away in the garage because it might get scratched, drive it and enjoy i say!

Heal toe and rev matching isnt that difficult with a bit of practice, and that will make your clutch last longer, make your gearbox last longer, control/smooth weight transfer, and thus ultimately will be safer.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I always blip on the downshift, sometimes even a double blip.

Depends how many hotties are at the bus stop. J/k..

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
Dropping the down the gears is fine.

Remember, the brakes should do most of work so don't be over-revving to slow the car.

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
very nice link, rev matching/ heel & toe are key on track for smooth weight transfer and power delivery.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Steve_DC5 said:
I always blip on the downshift, sometimes even a double blip.

Depends how many hotties are at the bus stop. J/k..
Haha! Love this!

I've been doing it since I had my mini 12 years ago. A little blip here and there won't hurt it. As mentioned before, it's a track focused car. It's meant to deal with this kind of thing.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
wayne_teggy said:
Pads are cheaper then gearboxes ! Use them :)
What about when your wanting to drop from 6th to 3rd for an overtake then? ;)
Nothing worse than a none blip down change feels freaking awful.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
Another advantage of using Heel and toe is to keep the car balance while entering corners. It's one of the most important driving technique of motorsport. So learn it!