Driving in Europe

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Right I'm off to Europe (Nurburgring i think but they won't tell me where exactly we're going) for a weekend with a few friends for my stag do at the back end of April so.... What do i need to take/get done to the car before i go?

I know you need to have hi-vis vest, warning triangle etc in the car along with your insurance cert but what about those stick on lense things for the headlights do i need them? And also spare bulbs and stuff???

I know a few of you here have driven to the Ring and just to Europe so just looking for some pointers!

Any advice appriciated :D

turbo5

Advanced Member
I used to organise the Honda Euro every year and each year ended up with a couple of days at the ring. this was the packing list I used to advise.
Essential packing list
1 Passports
2 Ferry booking receipt number
3 Insurance documents (check that you have fully comp abroad) some only offer 3rd party when abroad, note you are not covered at the ring
4 Driving license photo and paper
5 V5 log book
6 MOT if you need one
7 Car brake down recovery (European)
8 Warning triangle
9 High vis jackets for you and your passenger
10 Spare bulb kit.
11 first aid kit is only law in Austria
12 Headlight converters
13 GB sticker or European style license plate
14 Personal travel insurance or minimum of EHIC free health insurance in Europe
15 Sat nav and/or maps
16 Cash and Credit/debit card, you will need mainly Euro's

You also need to read up on the Nurburgring, its very expensive if you come off, expect a minimum of a couple of thousand euro's if they need to replace armco. Visit Ben Lovejoys website it will tell you everything you need to know.
Also don't drive in big convoys through France, Belgium and Germany. Also don't sticker up your car with graphics especially numbers which are illegal in Germany.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Cool thats just the kind of list i wanted thanks! :green:

Is there a bulb kit you can buy for the DC5 from the likes of halfrauds?

turbo5

Advanced Member
sovietspybob said:
Cool thats just the kind of list i wanted thanks! :green:

Is there a bulb kit you can buy for the DC5 from the likes of halfrauds?
I just used any bulb kit, just so I could show a policeman if stopped, I wasn't driving at night anyhow. Same with the headlight stickers, the stick on ones are OK. If you get stopped with some Brit hating cop at least you have the headlight converters and the legal things that you need to carry.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the hi viz vests MUST be within reach of you when seated, not just in the boot, it is common for brits to get stopped and fined for anything so dont give them a reason, mainly in france tho.

Rob84

Advanced Member
On my trip to the ring last year, I kept my headlight converters in the glovebox and was planning on using the "Oh, I must of forgotten to fit them, sorry officer" etc etc if I got stopped (which never happened). I know people who have done this for years and not once got into any trouble with the local dibble.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
my god had no idea you had to prepare the car this much. I'm off to le mans in june and will need the same things sorting :xconfused:

Can anyone recommend where to get stick on light converters and magnetic GB stickers ?

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I can't even begin to imagine where you would get light converters for the DC5 as there was never a similar model in the UK :-k

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Halfrauds seem to do generic headlight converters so i'm gonna get a pair of them tomorrow and see what they look like, i'll let you know!

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure the stick on light convertors don't work with HID's.

I wouldnt worry about it too much though, i've been driving the RHD Focus in France since Jan without stickers or LHD lights, not bothered anyone out here. Getting LHD lights fitted on monday though to get it thorugh the CT test

turbo5

Advanced Member
Gaz DC5 said:
I'm pretty sure the stick on light convertors don't work with HID's.

I wouldnt worry about it too much though, i've been driving the RHD Focus in France since Jan without stickers or LHD lights, not bothered anyone out here. Getting LHD lights fitted on monday though to get it thorugh the CT test
Gaz I see that you are in Toulouse ? I work there once a month on average ,(I have done on and off for the last 15 years) my office is facing the mock up Concorde in Colomiers I usually have a few beers in the Melting pot. I will be there again on the 19th May. Toulouse is one of my favourite places.