Driving quickly

Rom

Advanced Member
Ill be blunt. As this thread is retarded.

Grow up. If you cant help but drive like a clown, you will do that in any car. You will be the person in a bog standard diesel Astra driving like a race car, over taking people.

If you can afford to hammer it around everywhere, you can afford a track day.
You wont ruin the tyres unless you try to. I run F1s, which are very soft, and no one rates them for track. I havent killed them.
Why will it need a service? Oil and filter maybe, but not everyone does this after every track day.

You are risking, points, fines, accidents, which will cost you a lot more than a track day ever would. You cant be that serious about going fast, or you would already being doing track days. Instead of being a badman street racer. If you cant control yourself, please sell the DC5, and buy an EP3. You seem more suited to one.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Rom said:

Grow up. If you cant help but drive like a clown, you will do that in any car. You will be the person in a bog standard diesel Astra driving like a race car, over taking people.

You wont ruin the tyres unless you try to. I run F1s, which are very soft, and no one rates them for track. I havent killed them.
Why will it need a service? Oil and filter maybe, but not everyone does this after every track day.

You are risking, points, fines, accidents, which will cost you a lot more than a track day ever would. You cant be that serious about going fast, or you would already being doing track days. Instead of being a badman street racer. If you cant control yourself, please sell the DC5, and buy an EP3. You seem more suited to one.
Think you said what we were all truly thinking

Linus27

Advanced Member
Rom said:

Oh, so where were you last week when I needed you :) Ever since I changed my tyres to F1's, after reading the great reviews on here, the car has felt horrible. Unstable, moving about and generally losing that planted feel. TGM checked it out and said car is ok so very confused. On track it felt very nervous with the weight shifting about unpredictably. Found out that the sidewalks are very soft and they are terrible for track. Then this happened on Friday and so the next day, ordered a set of AD08r's :)

http://youtu.be/KkNvrNwCLV0

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I told people at work about this thread. They said buy a Fiat 500 or stop talking.

I told my mum about this thread. She laughed.

I must say I'm confused why your driving so fast when you stated in another thread the handling and brakes are poor?

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Crazylegs if you get a fine it's what like £80?
That's half way to a track day, as Rom says make sure your cars fit to go out on track - we serviced mine with fresh oil before my track day but that's all. I went out on my T1r tyres and existing discs and pads and had a brilliant time (in my DC2)

The only thing to change after was pads but that was it and I drove to work in the same car on the Monday

You sound like you need to go on track with an instructor and learn your car again. X

Rom

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Oh, so where were you last week when I needed you :) Ever since I changed my tyres to F1's, after reading the great reviews on here, the car has felt horrible. Unstable, moving about and generally losing that planted feel. TGM checked it out and said car is ok so very confused. On track it felt very nervous with the weight shifting about unpredictably. Found out that the sidewalks are very soft and they are terrible for track. Then this happened on Friday and so the next day, ordered a set of AD08r's :)

http://youtu.be/KkNvrNwCLV0
They are nice on the road. In the wet they are fantastic.
I didn't find them terrible on track, but certainly they held me back.

Do you have the 94 XL rated ones. These are stiffer sidewalls. Though I will admit, the sidewalls are still pretty soft.
I will be running the Bridgestone Re070 next.
I've loved F1s on previous cars, but not as much on the teg. Not bad, nor worth changing until I need to. But there is certainly something different about them on the teg.

Was that a bit of lift off oversteer. Only briefly watched on my phone. But sounded like you lifted off mid turn, and it went down hill from there lol.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Rom said:
They are nice on the road. In the wet they are fantastic.
I didn't find them terrible on track, but certainly they held me back.
Do you have the 94 XL rated ones. These are stiffer sidewalls. Though I will admit, the sidewalls are still pretty soft.
I will be running the Bridgestone Re070 next.
I've loved F1s on previous cars, but not as much on the teg. Not bad, nor worth changing until I need to. But there is certainly something different about them on the teg.
Was that a bit of lift off oversteer. Only briefly watched on my phone. But sounded like you lifted off mid turn, and it went down hill from there lol.
No, the 91Y rated ones. The car was on Toyo's before and felt very stiff and firm but on the F1's it's gone very soft. Good in the rain though :) Still, two track days down and plenty of tread.

Yes, lift off oversteer. I felt I was about to run wide so just lifted. Big big mistake :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
No, the 91Y rated ones. The car was on Toyo's before and felt very stiff and firm but on the F1's it's gone very soft. Good in the rain though :) Still, two track days down and plenty of tread.

Yes, lift off oversteer. I felt I was about to run wide so just lifted. Big big mistake :)
That will make a bit of difference, mine are stiffer and higher rated. But they are still soft.
Yeah loos is no joke. Gotta stay committed.

Filkmeister

This thread is actually very interesting. I take my hat off to you for being so honest and facing up to it - this thread is not retarded, it points to a serious issue and that is road accidents leading to injury and much worse caused by excessive speed, lack of concentration, distraction etc etc.

Key advice: book a track-day and then get an alternative way of working the stresses of everyday life out of your system - many of us have been there, the road ain't the place to do it!

A DC5 is a seriously powerful and sorted (r-e-a-d quick) motor by any standards. But like the saying goes, with power comes the need for responsibility. You don't have to lean on your right foot to have a shunt, a serious accident can occur in any car it's the way you drive it. Take a look here to see what happens when people get it seriously wrong, makes very sobering reading: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/road-accidents-and-safety-statistics

I get quite frustrated at the sense of "invincibility" modern cars can give you and the impression that speed and power are the be all and end all. The late, great James Hunt was said to have had more fun opposite locking his Austin A35 in the wet than his collection of high-powered sports cars... make of that what you will.

You are right though, slow up before you hit something or someone hard enough to leave regrets that last a lifetime - hooning around leads to overconfidence and risk normalisation. A DC5 will have you doing a tonne in a blink of an eye - can you (or others making odd comments?) honestly say you know how to respond if it goes wrong at that speed? I have raced and sprinted for years and still take driver training... ...why? speed with safety. Car in armco is not a pretty sight and I value my health too much!

Don't get dispirited just re-adjust your approach, go back to basics and drive with respect for other road users and a margin for safety at all times whatever your choice of wheels. Just to echo others thoughts again, if you want a taste for speed and g-forces get out on track, it is the only way!

Good luck!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks for some of the feedback off a few of you however I don't appreciate some of the comments where people are calling me a clown. I'm not a clown, none of you know me bar a few. Yes I may drive quick but at least I've been honest and that I am trying to do something about it.

I bet most, if not all of you drive quick the majority of the time so I find some of the posts on here not only insulting but quite patronising. Many of you are a quick enough to jump on me for something many of you already probably do on a daily basis yet because of this thread you feel you can take the moral high ground. For people to come back and tell me they drive a Type R around normally are talking out of their back sides. You don't buy a car like this and not go quick.

I admit I'm in the wrong for going fast and it is something I am going to actively try to work on to reduce my speed. Regarding my brakes, there is nothing wrong with them as such I just feel they're not great brakes. Do people think I'd be stupid enough to drive round in a car that has damaged brakes?

Anyway, I will take the advice on board regarding the trackday however I won't be doing one till I at least have better pads that give me more confidence in the car and also sort out the ball joint so I imagine it will be a while before I'm able to get on track, if I could do it now I would. Once again thanks for the constructive comments from the very few who have posted on here to genuinely offer help.

Rom

Advanced Member
I see nothing big nor admirable in posting this. You have issues, or are seeking attention.

I think grow up is pretty spot on advice. You are a 35 year old, grown ass man. Id expect this kind of thread from a kid just passed his test. Do you really lack the self control to stop driving so fast ?
You contradict yourself constantly.You cant possibly do a track day currently, the car needs a balljoint and better pads. But hey, you can race around public roads no worries.
Which is more dangerous ? A public road, full of cars, pedestrians, children, cyclists. Or a purpose built race track, with run off, no oncoming traffic, no pedestrians etc.

You are saying you are basically addicted to speed, but seem reluctant to go and do the one thing where you can speed all you like. I cannot fathom how an adult, needs help from a forum, to drive in a more sensible manner.
Moan about the assumption of driving like a clown. Then go ahead and assume we are all lying because we have some self restraint. No one is a saint, everyone speeds sometimes. But you are claiming you drive fast all the time, so much so you get migraines over this quandary.

Buying a fast car doesnt mean you have to drive like a racing driver. I see cars much faster than mine driving normally. Thats where all the ' i done a porsche' stories etc come from. Great, the guy was probably sat in his 80k car just chilling, when some kid wants to race, and 'wins' as the guy never tried.
A large number of people on here track their car... Perhaps a reason they bought the car, was to track it. Perhaps a reason they can drive sensibly on the road, is they track it.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Agree with a lot of the guys above. It's best you take control and make a decision and not leave it to chance.

Do you suffer from anxiety and stress?

Get a track day booked and see how you

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
There's a trackday on Anglesey in September. I get my bonus payment next month and I'm very tempted to book it, £159 early booking price.

mickyc

How about a Driving Experiance, these are approx £200 depending on where you are.

At least you can drive fast from Expert tuition and it wont be in your car.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
There's a trackday on Anglesey in September. I get my bonus payment next month and I'm very tempted to book it, £159 early booking price.
None of this 'may' book it malarkey . Get it done and do something about it, if not might as well call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
A further question re trackdays.

Can you car share? The reason I ask is my friend is keen to do a trackday so I'm thinking if we split the cost he can use my car.

Can you do this at all as I can't see anything on the FAQ on Javelin's website.

Many thanks.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
A further question re trackdays.

Can you car share? The reason I ask is my friend is keen to do a trackday so I'm thinking if we split the cost he can use my car.

Can you do this at all as I can't see anything on the FAQ on Javelin's website.

Many thanks.
If it's two of you and your worried about wear and tear, look at hiring one of javelin's mx5.

About £400.00.

Not the most exciting car but they basically give you the keys in the morning and leave you to it.

p1tse

Advanced Member
A very strange posts this.

To help you, imagine when you're driving your parents are sat in the car or your young cousin/ niece/ nephew.

Not all of us drive the car to its limit, redline everywhere, like some of the posts above I rarely hit vtec; even known by friends as captain slow even when I used to own 300+ Bhp 4.2 v8, 500lb/ft 3.0 twin turbo.

I just hope you're not pushing on with busy roads, built up areas!