Driving quickly

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks Mebz for the advice but we'd likely do it in mine.

My friend is a keen petrolhead and he's been wanting to do a trackday for a while as we've both been talking about it and he's a much better and safer driver than I am so I have no issues with him doing it.

Thanks anyway bud!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
@ cjh1981. I've used up my quota of quotes for the day.

To answer your question above, yes. I do suffer from anxiety and depression. Have done for nearly a decade but I have days where I'm ok and days where I'm not.

I try and find a release by cycling, walking (nearly wrote wan*ing then lol!) and a bit of hill climbing watching planes by my car is my release and my true passion.

Rob R

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks for some of the feedback off a few of you however I don't appreciate some of the comments where people are calling me a clown. I'm not a clown, none of you know me bar a few. Yes I may drive quick but at least I've been honest and that I am trying to do something about it.

I bet most, if not all of you drive quick the majority of the time so I find some of the posts on here not only insulting but quite patronising. Many of you are a quick enough to jump on me for something many of you already probably do on a daily basis yet because of this thread you feel you can take the moral high ground. For people to come back and tell me they drive a Type R around normally are talking out of their back sides. You don't buy a car like this and not go quick.

I admit I'm in the wrong for going fast and it is something I am going to actively try to work on to reduce my speed. Regarding my brakes, there is nothing wrong with them as such I just feel they're not great brakes. Do people think I'd be stupid enough to drive round in a car that has damaged brakes?

Anyway, I will take the advice on board regarding the trackday however I won't be doing one till I at least have better pads that give me more confidence in the car and also sort out the ball joint so I imagine it will be a while before I'm able to get on track, if I could do it now I would. Once again thanks for the constructive comments from the very few who have posted on here to genuinely offer help.
You need to read your posts as a third person, pretend you're not you then you'll see why people are forming opinions of yourself.

I'm 28, 7 years younger than you and in the small amount of time I have spent on planet earth compared to you I have learnt the art of not burying my right foot into the carpet every time I drive my car. Your fuel consumption must be shit, which will probably add to the reasons why you plead poverty on these forums.

I will stand on my moral high ground as I do not drive my car like a piece daily. My commute consists of 22 miles on the A2 and M25 every day and I am more than happy pottering along in lane 1 at 70mph, enjoying the ambience of my bright red Recaro interior singing along to Barbie Girl on my iPod. I suggest purchasing a CD, something like "Classic Whale & Dolphin Noises, Volume 37" in an attempt to mellow yourself out and not think you're playing Road Rash on your Mega Drive.

I know you don't like me, and I'm not trying to have a pop, but just put yourself in the position of another forum member reading your posts and you too would be thinking WTF is this bloke on about.

P.S I recommend DS2500 pads, MTEC grooved discs and braided lines. They can withstand 25 minutes of track time just fine.

Rom

Advanced Member
RBF600 has a lower life cycle, so will need changing more more often.
I use ATE Superblue, never cooked it, or had any issues.

I run Mtec discs, Project Mu Pads, Hel Lines and ATE on track.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Rob R said:
You need to read your posts as a third person, pretend you're not you then you'll see why people are forming opinions of yourself.

I'm 28, 7 years younger than you and in the small amount of time I have spent on planet earth compared to you I have learnt the art of not burying my right foot into the carpet every time I drive my car. Your fuel consumption must be excrement, which will probably add to the reasons why you plead poverty on these forums.

I will stand on my moral high ground as I do not drive my car like a piece daily. My commute consists of 22 miles on the A2 and M25 every day and I am more than happy pottering along in lane 1 at 70mph, enjoying the ambience of my bright red Recaro interior singing along to Barbie Girl on my iPod. I suggest purchasing a CD, something like "Classic Whale & Dolphin Noises, Volume 37" in an attempt to mellow yourself out and not think you're playing Road Rash on your Mega Drive.

I know you don't like me, and I'm not trying to have a pop, but just put yourself in the position of another forum member reading your posts and you too would be thinking WTF is this bloke on about.

P.S I recommend DS2500 pads, MTEC grooved discs and braided lines. They can withstand 25 minutes of track time just fine.
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the post and for being honest. Regarding me not liking you, it's not the case at all. I just felt as though the other week you were deliberately sourcing me out for sly digs. I don't know, you might not like me and probably don't ha ha but I can't do much about it. To be fair you actually helped me with something a few weeks back so I appreciate it.

I do get stressed and worked up at times but I'm trying to cool it not just in my car but with people so I apologise if I got narked off the other week. I know I've not helped myself with what I've posted not just on this thread but in the past but I have a lot of problems and by posting on here I'm reaching out for help. This is my way of trying to slow down and seek advice of fellow DC5 owners. I know I have a problem but I am trying to address it but ultimately it's down to myself and only I can change. No one on here can really help me in that sense.

About the moral high ground thing. I'm not taking that back, people on here are clearly lying if they say they don't cane it most places and that includes yourself. Be honest now, do you just plod along every single time you get out in your car? If I too had to travel along a stretch of motorway I also would happily sit at 70. The motorway is in fact one of the few places I do actually abide to the speed limit. I have some lovely roads where I live and it's on those roads, open B roads that I can't help but open it up and this is what I'm trying to do to slow down. My fuel consumption is dreadful and I do have a heavy right foot but I am trying my best to take it easy. After reading some of the posts on here I know I have a problem mentally which I need to work on.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Get some Alan Watts, osho or eckhart tolle mon your ipod, train in aikido, that calms me down. Or go and have a really bad accident, it will hurt and recovery might take years but its one way to learn......I always say its the only way to truly learn anything........the hard way.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Yes, lift off oversteer. I felt I was about to run wide so just lifted. Big big mistake :)
what 'should' you have done, just planted it and counter steered?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I don't think anybody will buy a car like this to go slow. I know every time I drive mine I will hit Vtec at some stage, just for fun. But I don't have a problem, I will do it when I deem it safe to do so, empty road, good straight, no people around, rural area with good visibility, wide sweeping corners etc... This is the difference between having a problem and not having a problem.

The problems occur when driving like this in built up areas on blind corners, ignoring conditions and aggressively overtaking in stupid areas would be a problem. And I am assuming this is what you mean with your problem driving?

But I am just defending the statement that people who buy these cars are innocent of speeding. From my point of view I don't think anybody in a car like this is innocent of speeding, but I don't believe many have a problem either, as just make sure to do it at the right times.

But in the end the car wont matter if you are a dangerous driver, you will do it in any car. I am sure there are driving courses you can take

Linus27

Advanced Member
what 'should' you have done, just planted it and counter steered?
Pretty much yes or not gone in so hot and then either hold the throttle or accelerated out. I basically made two mistakes. 1. Going to too fast with not big enough ball keep the throttle planted and 2. lift off mid corner.

Rom

Advanced Member
If you go on too fast, you are kinda screwed wither way.
But better off not lifting off generally, and hoping the diff will pull you out.

It's usually a case of understeer off the track, or oversteer off the track. Choosing to not lift off is a weird feeling to start with.

My car can not see vtec for weeks. I didn't buy it to drive fast. Any car can drive fast. I drive normally most of the time. Of course I do have the odd moment. But I don't feel the need to race around, or prove it's fast to anyone.
Besides, people can't admire it if you're going too fast ;)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Filkmeister said:
The late, great James Hunt was said to have had more fun opposite locking his Austin A35 in the wet than his collection of high-powered sports cars...
I think I have more fun going sideways in my £600 BMW E36 325i :p

The DC5 is much more refined and tighter but there's something addictive about oversteer!

mark2390

Advanced Member
Have you not thought of doing a taster day, they are only £25 and you can get your foot down for 20 minutes to see if track will help?..watch a few Russian crash videos that will show how quick it can go wrong and maybe make you think about how you drive on the road?
Either way you sound like you need some help to control the way you drive, one day your luck will runout if it's not addressed

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
mark2390 said:
Have you not thought of doing a taster day, they are only £25 and you can get your foot down for 20 minutes to see if track will help?..watch a few Russian crash videos that will show how quick it can go wrong and maybe make you think about how you drive on the road?
Either way you sound like you need some help to control the way you drive, one day your luck will runout if it's not addressed
Hi Mark,

I did one at Oulton Park years ago in my CRX 16v and although it was only 6 laps it was a real eye opener. I actually nearly came off at Druids corner and it scared the hell out of me at the time.

The DC5 is an altogether different kettle of fish though and would need to be treated with a bit more respect. I used the car today and although it's only one day I've started slowing down. I actually felt a lot more relaxed whilst driving which I don't normally do. I know I have a long way to go but I will get there, just need to work at it and change.

Been looking at these driving improvement courses but they're around £80 and I believe you need to have been caught speeding to get on the course. As others have mentioned, if I'm going spend 80 notes on a course I may as well just go on a trackday.

I will get a trackday under my belt at some point, later in the year I hope.

mark2390

Advanced Member
Hope you can calm your driving down soon with self control..when I first got my dc5 I did a taster day and spun at druids in the wet and going sidewards at 60 isn't nice ☺ thought my blue seats where going to be a different colour

Teggs

Hey mate, you are right nobody buys a car like this to pootle around in, but I'd echo some of the excellent advice already provided, find something else to get your adrenaline hit, something that is not gonna risk killing anyone apart from yourself.

I am a similar age and have driven a lot more 'quickly' during my youth, I was lucky any accidents that occurred just involved me and a hefty bill from a mechanic, that was enough to make me a bit more risk averse. Everyday I see some fucking stupid driving from all sorts of people and from what you've said you might be one of 'those' people, I hope that doesn't sound like a slight, I was that person aswell. If you end up crippling someone or killing someone that will be a massive burden on your conscience for the rest of your life.

Even if you could take all the other drivers out of the equation on public roads, there is still all the time unexpected hazards round the corner, a Horse, a cyclist, a massive pothole, some shit that has fallen of the back of a lorry, I probably only drive a 7-8/10ths on the road these days, hopefully I will get some trackdays at some point to get back to 10/10ths.

Also remember these cars are fairly rare and make stupid noises, very easy to become public enemy number 1 if you're regularly driving like a dick. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Teggs. :xwavey:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
mark2390 said:
Hope you can calm your driving down soon with self control..when I first got my dc5 I did a taster day and spun at druids in the wet and going sidewards at 60 isn't nice ☺ thought my blue seats where going to be a different colour
Ha ha!

it's a frightening part of the circuit, you sort of build your confidence up but it completely took me unawares and I had a massive fright. I think had I been going quicker I may have come off and smashed, the exact same thing happened with my friend who was in his Alfa 156.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Good read this post....I remember when I got my EP3(15 years ago?)and it had not long been released.Because the car was so powerful at the time,Honda UK offered a MAC course free with the car.The course was a one day jobby in your own car on the road,no tracktime, with a police driving instructor who basically showed you how to drive your car safely and quickly.To me at the time(I was 42 then!) it was a revelation to be shown how good the car was and how to get the best out of it while driving on public roads...280 miles in a day hardly getting the car above 3rd gear,braking correctly,cornering,overtaking everything really.If these courses are still available get youself on one and see what you can do safely in your Teg.Also.get yourself one of these..about £16 from Waterstones...an invaluable read..Cheers,David

This was my EP3 after the MAC course
CTR Mix 004.jpg