Dropping Revs when pulling off..

Alex.J

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Im pretty sure its not normal and will be idle control valve or tps but not sure which?

When pulling off, build the revs and enage the clutch, the revs drop off to below idle asif it was going to stall?

Thanks in advance guys!

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Give it more welly, it's all about balancing the clutch and throttle.......Unless there is a problem somewhere of course.

T.G.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
As above. If it idles fine in neutral and when coasting with the clutch in you just need to get used to it. Remember that the flywheel in a dc5 is much lighter than most cars so if you aren't smooth with the clutch it will give the impression it's bogging down.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
I was comparing to an ep3 i had a few years which wasnt like that so i assumed it was a possible minor issue..

However, if its totally normal, then thats fine!

Thanks

wj51fut

Advanced Member
These cars run like a bag of nails when cold. Can be quite jerky. Clutch is either on or off lol. Not much leeway. As said, you just need to drive it more and get used to it.

Adam

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Can't imagine it feeling that different to an ep3. Not sure if anyone else can confirm? As said, the flywheel is a fair bit lighter than ep3. Maybe that's all it is.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Can't imagine it feeling that different to an ep3. Not sure if anyone else can confirm? As said, the flywheel is a fair bit lighter than ep3. Maybe that's all it is.
Maybe, its not exactly drastic and i havent stalled it so it could be that simple difference, but better to check i thought!

I shall adapt!! Have got used to driving luxury diesels haha! I have become 'soft'.

Thank you for your help!

Mark_teg

Staff member
Diesels have a lot more engine momentum (not to mention the high low-down torque) so it'll differ massively! You've probably forgotten how your ep3 used to drive :)

Dave, I bet the flywheels are the same. Though the ep3 had a lighter item fitted when it was facelifted so perhaps that is the same item? Pure speculation, but it won't be much different.

bennn

Advanced Member
Sounds totally normal to me and I remember having the same trouble when I first got my EP3 too.

I get in mine after driving the HDI all week and it usually takes a bit of time for me to get used to it.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I tend to slightly blip the throttle before pulling away to help smooth out pulling away. Have Always done it.

Foo King Kwik

Advanced Member
I find mine very hard to drive at slow speeds. Pulling away and driving round town etc. Slow moving stop start traffic is a nightmare! I had put it down to mine needing a new clutch, which doesnt help it.

Thrives at speed though. It feels at ease when you're driving it properly! Gotta remember it's not a town car, pretty much a race car for the road.

I get in my Bora TDI and think "wow this is easy to drive!"

maxvr6

Advanced Member
is a lot more noticeable with a light flywheel and a stage 4 CC clutch to
Totally agree lightweight fly makes a difference, just have to use higher gears and lots of clutch slip! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linus27

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
These cars run like a bag of nails when cold. Can be quite jerky. Clutch is either on or off lol. Not much leeway. As said, you just need to drive it more and get used to it.
Adam
Wow, this thread is a god spend. I have just been searching for similar threads as I was using the exact same phrase as above "drives like a bag of nails" today. I too was wondering, is it a clutch problem, sensor, gearbox, was my IAC valve not cleaned properly last week etc. I have also come from an EP3 which was silky smooth but also compared to my other cars (Scooby WRX, Elise S1 and MX5) the DC5 feels very rough when modulating the clutch and throttle, mostly at low speeds. At higher speeds as reported, it's superb. I just wish it could be smoother at the lower speed stuff.

I also think it penalises you if you are lazy. If I concentrate on throttle and clutch modulation it's fine but others days it's a pig.

The other issue which made me think clutch is my gears do crunch sometimes. First and second yes but also third and forth. I do wonder if there is something.

Anyway, this thread has made me not worry so much :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Different people tend to mention different issues when a clutch is nearing the end of its life but one of the more common issues is crunching or hard to get gears at higher RPM.

I think what Adam was referring to in particular was cold starts where the jerkiness is at its worst. It idles high anyway which is pretty similar to any type R but as said I think the lighter fly makes it that more jerky.

I found it difficult to begin with in start stop traffic but having driven it as my daily for two years now I'm pretty smooth with it. It does very much come down to more clutch work than in your average car but it can be driven smoothly at any speed once you get the hang of it, and its warm!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The DC5 almost feels like it's driving itself when cold, it idles so high it just pulls along on its own. Not much you can do about it, seems it's a characteristic of these cars.

I try and leave it running a minute now before driving just to let the revs drop off a tad. They are a nightmare at low speed though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MrRy

Advanced Member
Has anyone who has had their car tuned on hondata/aem/DTA etc. noticed the low speed jerkiness go away? It is a pain at times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

integraleo

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
Has anyone who has had their car tuned on hondata/aem/DTA etc. noticed the low speed jerkiness go away? It is a pain at times.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
They are exactly the same

Linus27

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
The DC5 almost feels like it's driving itself when cold, it idles so high it just pulls along on its own. Not much you can do about it, seems it's a characteristic of these cars.

I try and leave it running a minute now before driving just to let the revs drop off a tad. They are a nightmare at low speed though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
This is what I am doing. I leave it for about 3 - 5 mins or until the temp gauge starts to move, just blipping the throttle a few times to see how the revs drop. If it still sticks a lot or jerky then I leave it a bit longer until they drop smoother. It is a real pain. Mine never really goes away once warm. Drove for 15 minutes today and just occasionally the revs at low speed would stick a tiny bit but certainly not as bad as when cold.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I always let it run until the temp gauge starts to move, although I have Mugen Assist gauges which are far more accurate than the vague cold/warm/hot nature of the stock gauge. Cant remember if that's before or after the stock gauge starts to move. They are a pain when they're cold but you just get used to adjusting your clutch and throttle inputs depending on how warm the engine is.

In the winter I hate it, as above drives like a bag of nails until warm, its just a character of the car you have to accept.