Drymag Carbon Fiber Magnesium Road Wheel

andyd

Advanced Member
Carbon wheels any one?

Bluewind;11484083 said:
This caught my eye at sema's. At a cool $2,500 each, or $10,000 for the set (plus state tax if applicable), you can have the lightest street rim in the world. Made from Magnesium, Titanium, and Carbon fiber, this perfromance icon is definetely something to drool over. Just don't go about breaking them.

Andy

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
Mmm...Dymags are dribblesome. :lol:

When I finally get round to modding the 1200, it'll be running on their finest

Evs

Advanced Member
Nah, they don't really do it for me :?

Can't beat a nice set of Volk forged alloy ones for a quarter of the cost imho 8)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I am very friendly with one of the directors at dymag, these wheels are extremely tough indeed, much much stronger than a std alloy and waaayyy lighter too, they have been tested on the GT3 RS and evo and fitted to the eclipse concept too.
i have seen the drop test rig they use to destroy the wheels, they basically drop a steel lump the shape of a curb on to the weakest part (between the spokes) of the rim. most good wheels can withstand this a couple of times before breaking, the carbon rim was completely undamaged at the end of the test ( 30 or so attempts).
the weight saving on the GT3 was something like 13kg per corner which in unsprung weight equates to something like gaining 40 bhp.
The problem is the retail price at £1200 odd per rim they ain't cheap, they also have no plans to make a 17" rim at themo. :(

a 19x13 rim can weigh as little as 8.5 kg.......

sh33n

Advanced Member
I think they look bloody awful.

Wouldn't buy them if they were £200 a piece, never mind that price!!

linzi94

Advanced Member
hmm, weigh up (excuse the pun) the cost of the wheels with actual performance gain.... plus they look naf.

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Evs said:

Can't beat a nice set of Volk forged alloy ones for a quarter of the cost imho 8)
My god, I actually agree with you there :shock: :oops: :wink:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They look awesome with black centres they do a 5 spoke design which is much nicer, if you get the oppertunity to see them in the flesh the quality is outstanding,

the actual peformance gain is not really bad value at all
how much ££'S would a genuine naturally aspirated 40 whp cost?
i would guestimate about the same as a set plus there is better braking handling etc to boot.

JiB

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
They look awesome with black centres they do a 5 spoke design which is much nicer, if you get the oppertunity to see them in the flesh the quality is outstanding,

the actual peformance gain is not really bad value at all
how much ££'S would a genuine naturally aspirated 40 whp cost?
i would guestimate about the same as a set plus there is better braking handling etc to boot.
Hmm, in white yeah...but I'd be terrified of them getting nicked!

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
I would love a set, hmm $10,000 that can either buy me a set of wheels or a pair of seats :?:

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Surely if they were that good every pro race car would now have a set? :? Or am I missing something.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They are working on that.... this product is still very new , i beleive there are some issues with FIA approval due to the centres being a different material (some of the BBS split rims have alloy outer and mag centres Though :? ) and every size needs approval at a massive cost, i think we will see more comming through in time, there are loads of GP Bikes which use dymag wheels (all carbon)

Evs

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
Evs said:

My god, I actually agree with you there :shock: :oops: :wink:
That unusual, is it? :?

turbo5

Advanced Member
I work in the Aerospace industry and the product I am responsible for is made from mostly carbon fibre. There is no reason why a full wheel couldn't be made from carbon as long as the bolt holes had metal inserts. The technology is there and yes they would be as strong if not stronger than alloy.

JiB

Advanced Member
turbo5 said:
I work in the Aerospace industry and the product I am responsible for is made from mostly carbon fibre. There is no reason why a full wheel couldn't be made from carbon as long as the bolt holes had metal inserts. The technology is there and yes they would be as strong if not stronger than alloy.
What about engine blocks? I was watching Best Motoring and they interviewed Japan's largest carbon fibre producer something or rather company, and the feller said that carbon engine blocks would be a reality if the price of carbon dropped? :shock:

rayray

Would ther be problems with stone chips that could crack the protective coat and expose the weave?