Dumbest mistake you've made with your DC5

Cennix1

I'm on a roll this year.

A few months ago I wasn't getting lighting on my instrument cluster, after spending hours finding + checking fuses and other potential causes, I found the sneaky dimmer knob that I may have turned all the way down.

On top of that, a few weeks ago my passenger window stopped working, so I had been looking at potential causes and was about to buy a new motor regulator for it this weekend.... and then I found the lock button on the drivers side this morning.

I can't be the only one come on what's the dumbest mistakes you've made :D

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
On some really really early mornings back in the early days, forgetting to either disarm the immobiliser if it had been unlocked 30 seconds or more without being started, or not putting my foot on the clutch to start it. haha

Then there's the classic switching between cars when I first got it, trying to clear the windscreen but instead blinding everyone without realising, but wondering why the wipers aren't doing anything so frantically flashing the headlights. hahaha

nails

Advanced Member
Only had mine a couple of weeks but I have done the clutch thing a few times, and indicators are on the wrong side (or the correct side depending on your point of view) so I end up turning on the wipers when I want to indicate :xgrin:

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Not locking my doors when I park up on my drive - luckily my area is pretty safe *touchwood* :D

Cennix1

Jimmer said:
On some really really early mornings back in the early days, forgetting to either disarm the immobiliser if it had been unlocked 30 seconds or more without being started, or not putting my foot on the clutch to start it. haha

Then there's the classic switching between cars when I first got it, trying to clear the windscreen but instead blinding everyone without realising, but wondering why the wipers aren't doing anything so frantically flashing the headlights. hahaha
Haha the memories getting used to the stalks, it was always a reminder when I would try to flash someone and get a surprise spray on the windscreen :D

I find it so much better though, being able to change gear and indicate with the other hand. That alone makes me not want to go back to an EU manual.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Picked up my car from torque gt got it home, was cleaning it on the drive and all the doors locked, i panicked because I though I was locked in, pulled the lock knob thingy and broke the actuator so now I have to manually look my drivers door :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy

Advanced Member
Oh god, This could be a tasty thread.

My DC5 is the car I've chosen to learn with and get more stuck into DIY jobs and such, so there's so many mistakes been made along the way.

Here's my top 3 straight off the top of my head;

1. Cleaned the roof gutters underneath the rubbers with the jet wash a little too close...Ended up flaking the lacquer all the way along each side resulting in a roof respray.

2. First time I swapped the rocker cover I decided to use a torque wrench made in the year 800BC (When wheels were still square) and managed to snap a stud the day before I was booked in for Geo etc.

3. Not thinking at all when I was looking for a good place to install a toggle switch so I could easily switch maps on the move... and deciding the big space underneath the handbrake was a good idea (Car was parked up with the hand brake engaged and I didn't think to check the clearance when it was down ) DOH!

Luckily it only lifts the handbrake a couple mm when I lift the switch cover up (Not enough to engage the handbrake) so I only just got away with it, Haha.

I'm sure I'll be posting in here again when I think of some other times or make more mistakes...

crasherkid

Advanced Member
I sold my last DC5 which had a new Kakimoto Regu 06&R exhaust which did less than 500 miles.
I'll never get over that.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Forgetting to enter the anti hijack code and 30 seconds into the journey the hazard and brake lights flashing, while frantically trying to enter the code and save embarrassment! The cars behind must wonder what the hell is happening! It's happened more than once haha

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Having a sprinter van as a daily then jump into the teg & go to turn the radio up on the steering wheel whilst driving to find out your not in the van doh! Or drive the wife's car to find out she doesn't have 6speed gearbox lol

k!ng

Advanced Member
On the motorway home after buying it I was cruising in 5th gear for about 20 miles before I realised I had another gear! I 'm used to driving a B18C so am somewhat used to driving with the revs high due to short gearing but I still didn't notice it for that long. I should add it is my first car with 6 gears!

Also very often get the indicators mixed up with the wipers and do it again when I drive my daily.

subtronics

Advanced Member

As above! My missis has a civic and I drive both cars, gets so confusing with the indicators! Even considered trying to change them over with some UK stock storks.

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Forgetting to enter the anti hijack code and 30 seconds into the journey the hazard and brake lights flashing, while frantically trying to enter the code and save embarrassment! The cars behind must wonder what the hell is happening! It's happened more than once haha
I've had this a few times haha

Dumbest thing I've done is sold mine

p1tse

Advanced Member
Pulling up the wrong side to fill up.

Usually the nozzle is where the picture is shown on the dash, but doesn't seem to apply to the teg

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Having the Teg slip off the jack. Thankfully it wasn't jacked up much and didn't cause any damage. Learned my lesson to check that the jack was properly placed before jacking it up again

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
Not locking my doors when I park up on my drive - luckily my area is pretty safe *touchwood* :D
been guilty of that one on a few occasions.

my best was right after i bought it. pulled up at a mates house to show him the car. turned out he wasn't in so went to leave and couldn't start the car. sat there for 5+ mins fiddling about, arming/disarming the alarm etc..

was literally about to phone the guy i'd just bought it off when a light went on in my brain and the car started perfectly..... after putting my foot on the clutch.:/