dyno disappointment

albone13

Advanced Member
took my car to be dyno'ed this morning and only made 200bhp i was told that when my vtec should engage nothing really happens and it stays on the same power curve instead of jumping up was also told that its running to rich.
i was told previous owner had work done to the cylinder head would this cause this if it was done wrong.

my only other mods knn typhoon and mugen cat back.

any help would be great

Chewy

Advanced Member
It's irregular - and I'd assume I'm wrong in even suggesting it as you say your Vtec isn't kicking in.

But there is a K20A engine sat in there and not a K20A2?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Although power seems a little down 200 isnt that bad you know and if VTEC wasn't working you'd only be getting 160 if that so VTEC Is definitely kicking in. If your runnning a stock ECU and map then at least you can rule map out.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Running rich up top is also normal on standard ecu.

It could just be that it's not quite had the regular services it should and the compression isn't quite as good as new. Perhaps get a compression test if you're that concerned. It's a little lower than I'd expect with the mugen catback but then the typhoon filter won't be doing you any favours. They sound great but based on other reviews members have given they loose power, especially on a dyno.

What fuel are you running and what oil? When was it last serviced?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Btw mine only read 200 on standard airbox and DC sports catback but was told that was average on the rollers we were using at Eurospec on a standard intake. you can factor in up to a 10 to 12bhp difference between rollers.

albone13

Advanced Member
Serviced it myself 500 miles ago used 0-30 Mobil one from cox motorsport in the service kit. I also have a aem cai to go on

MaxJ

Advanced Member
How many miles has the car done?

An oil change is not really a ‘service‘, there is obviously other work that should be completed at set intervals such as filters, spark plugs, valve clearances etc.

I wouldn‘t be worried at 200hp. What were the cars quoted from new, 212? Even the youngest DC5‘s are now coming up for 10 years old, and there will be very few standard examples left that would be hitting that figure.

[SIZE=11pt]When you say your VTEC doesn‘t engage – surely this is something you can work out yourself by driving the car? But then there‘s absolutely no way you‘d be getting near 200bhp without VTEC....[/SIZE]

beppe786

Beppe
albone13 said:
Serviced it myself 500 miles ago used 0-30 Mobil one from cox motorsport in the service kit. I also have a aem cai to go on
aem cold air should have given a nice healthy gain 10- 15hp.. power line is dead straight normally see a jump when vtec kicks in..

b18coupe

Advanced Member
With just a cat back RM01A exhaust and Hondata air box mod, mine made 206bhp so not too far off, I wasn't too happy with that at the time. will put the graph up in a bit so you can compare if you want

b18coupe

Advanced Member

Couldn't find the dyno print out I was looking for, the dotted line is the standard the solid line was the last dyno after a few bolt ons

albone13

Advanced Member
It has 93k miles on. I think it was because he was comparing mine with a 240bhp civic. After reading all this I'm quite happy il be saving over winter whilst it's off road for a remap

Rom

Advanced Member
If it hasnt been look after, its pretty much what it is.

You cant undo years of neglect and poor care (if that was the case) So you can change the oil every day, but any damage done, is done.
Definitely do valve clearances and plugs unless you know its had them, and when.

But as said, thats not particularly low. All rollers read different.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yeah mate I wouldn't worry about it. Those figures sound about right. I take it that's the power at the wheels right?

As above, give it a decent service. New plugs, air filter, oil filter using decent oil ideally Fuchs Titan Pro S, Millers/Morris or Shell Helix Ultra if you're going to be changing it more frequently which is a tad cheaper. Maybe opt for 5w40 this time instead of the 0w30 you last put in it.

Also get the valve clearances done and stick some Forte's fuel cleaner in it and take it for a good 2-3 hours blast getting into VTEC often and then stick on the rollers again. You should see a few extra bhp and it should drive smoother and more free-revving.

Oh and put V Power in it as well.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
mine only made 200 not long after a service, so fresh oil, laser iridium plugs, valve clearances recently done and running on v-power.

200 is just a number, the car felt great on the road.

here is my graph plotted onto yours

James-T

Advanced Member
On Dyno dynamics, stock EP3s make 185bhp, and stock DC5s make around 200bhp so there's nothing to worry about.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I never had mine dyno'd standard but with dc sports manifold, rbc intake, injen induction and trust exhaust was 212 hp at eurospec. Take all those mods off and mine would have been very similar