"dyno dynamics" dyno

webbie

Advanced Member
Hiya
has any one else on here been on a dyno dynamics dyno ? I was at racing line on sat at halifax with jap club and my car only made 230 hp :cry:

It made 247 at pauls about two weeks ago on the civic owners day . The guy at racing line said theres is most accurate :?:

I know mine is more than bloody 230 if im doing 13.7 quarters and all my mods i only have 10 hp more than standard jap power na a a a a !

which do I take as the correct figre ,paul also said his was acurate and he has just had it calibrated

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
If you run your cars on different dyno's (even the same make of dyno at different places) you will get different results....

I'm not starting a debate.... but wasn't it proven a while ago that System-R's (TDI North) is a little on the optimistic side :?:

The only real way to get a true power figure, is with an engine dyno etc, but that's not a cheap way :!:

Mike

dan the man

Advanced Member
lets not start a mass debate :wink:

And yeah TDI was a little over but got recalibrated not long ago and supposed to ve much better now.

And webbie u should have let me know..i can be in halifax in 20mins!

carfiend

Advanced Member
Dynos are best used for tuning purposes really.

Saying that it is fun to get 5-6 mates together and do a dyno shoot out to see who has the bragging rights down the pub :wink:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
webbie,
don't do rr days as they will all give different results. you will never be satisfied
even with the engine out on a bench dyno you still have the same issues with different makes of dyno
as far as your 13.7 1/4 , you need to do that at either Pod or Shakspear County to really count and i'm sure it will be 14 something as unfortunatly times are always quicker at Crail and York. :cry:

My background in motorsport is drag racing. i raced with my own 10 sec car and worked as crew cheif for several pro teams for 10 years. so yes i do know the difference in the various tracks.
I have only managed low 14's with similar power but less weight than you but with track geometry which is not great for 1/4 so would suspect at a recognised strip your times would be very similar to mine,

Glitch

Advanced Member
Last time i was down Santapod i ran a 14.1 with a head wind of aparently 30mph. I had very minimal mods back then ie. intake and cat back. I made 220hp at TDI South so would a 230hp car be able to make 13.7ish?

Also what mods are you running Webbie?

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
Dyno Dynamics dyno's are generally recognised as one of the best.

However if the dyno isn't quite set up or calibrated correctly, or the person operating the dyno hasn't had sufficient training then you are better off not bothering.

Also don't forget theoretical fly figures are actually meaningless as they are just that, a theorotical calculation.

Actual wheel horse power is where the true figures are at.

But as already suggested, the best way is a dyno shoot out as you are on a level playing field then, all cars same dyno and same conditions.

Jayk

Advanced Member
all are different, i use my local as they are spot on, but to find this i have always put my cars on the rollers when they are standard, and they have made around the right figures, then gone on with mods, to see the gain.

All these figures of 250+bhp/ 190+lbft n/a teg's that have breathing mods and ecu only are alittle optimistic. but thats my view.

i have toda mani, spoon bpipe, k&n drop and on my reliable rollers i am running 190whp & 220fwhp with 163lbft of torque, it is 10fwhp gain over standard. now i know the figure quoted by manufacutres are 220PS, i think someone said that was 216 - 218bhp stock - abit for the fuel as they use 100ron so stock figures are probs around 210bhp so for my car to put 220fwhp on the rollers with the added toda mani / spoon was about right.

I put my car against my mates DC5 which has AEM V1 / Mugen Mani / Mugen N1 Exhaust / KPRO - Rolled at somthing like 240fwhp at CPL, but on hard accleration was slower than mine, i can pull away from him. He was also running 13.6 1/4's. some of honda's standard parts are amazing, the design of the airbox for example, the DC2 ITR had the 2 fastest OEM flowing airbox.

Another way to do it, is what i have done, i have seen a video of someone on you tube with all the breathing mods and kpro do a 0-140mph run, i have done one myself, timed the videos and i am only 1second slower. (No names mentioned :p)

Figures are figures at the end of the day, there are so many other ways to see how fast your car is, you can be happy with high figures, upset with low figures, where is the middle ground? there isnt with rolling roads.

Come down here for a reliable result :p :p :p

webbie

Advanced Member
I have seen that vid too jayk .lol that is one quick teg . there is also a vid of one to 155 and one of a dc5 stuffing a wrc gt4 . .dont
know who the poster is :)

matt b

Advanced Member
webbie said:
I have seen that vid too jayk .lol that is one quick teg . there is also a vid of one to 155 and one of a dc5 stuffing a wrc gt4 . .dont
Ive seen that WRC gt4 vid :wink: great stuff :p

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
The main thing that people forget though is max power has nothing to do with how the car actually runs. The mods could have lost mid range power but gained at the top end only, that way it would be a poor show on the road but give pub bragging rights.

I wish these dyno's would somehow give an area under the curve figure, or always give a plot for a standard car, that way there would be something to compare it against.

Jayk said:
I put my car against my mates DC5 which has AEM V1 / Mugen Mani / Mugen N1 Exhaust / KPRO - Rolled at somthing like 240fwhp at CPL, but on hard accleration was slower than mine, i can pull away from him. He was also running 13.6 1/4's. some of honda's standard parts are amazing, the design of the airbox for example, the DC2 ITR had the 2 fastest OEM flowing airbox.

Jayk

Advanced Member
webbie said:
I have seen both, :p

I have a 163mph run up there :p If you ever in the midlands give me shout, i will come out and play.....I believe i have one strong Teg for what is done to it.

I level my mates Jordan is which has been done by (The Kat) Henry) Has a B18C6 1.8 Type R Motor, With about 5k+ Chucked at it, ITB'S, Cams, Headwork, Bottom End work, DTA etc etc, running approx 205whp. And my DC5 would pull away at the real high speeds.

Forget figures, come out and play :p :p Or we should to a Day at the POD where we get various cars there and put them against each other. Say a 230hp DC5 gets a 13.6 1/4 isnt to far of, considering i got a 14.1 in a standard DC2 at POD which is torqueless and has 187bhp. I will do a run tonight i think :p Obviously timing will be stop watch and will be with one extra person in the car!

webbie

Advanced Member
I am next year hopefully.got a email the other day saying there spliting fwd into na and forced induction us tegs stand a right chance in dominating na class . i have some buddyclub n+ coil overs on order coming from asia from aai racing same as on chens touring car ;-)
should improve my car loads

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are a couple of mega power n/a dc2's as well so it wo n't be easy trust me.

luffy

Advanced Member
i'd be up for santa pod as well in january as i am already going with my mate in a dc2