dyno dyno dyno

timp

Advanced Member
So i had my car mapped again yesterday...........

After fitting a spoon header, 4-2 2-1 i thought i would get my kpro remapped at TDI yesterday but i am a little bit un happy with the results.

I gained 5 bhp but actuallly lost 6 lbft torque. I know the spoon isn't the best header but i was hoping for a little more than that.

Anyone else had such issues with the spoon?? what gains did anyone else get with headers??

timp

Advanced Member
not really sure mate i'm a bit confused to the feel as i had my coil overs set up as well.

I can't say it feels worse as i have only lost 5 lbft i guess i'm not really gonna notice that anyhow but i just can't get my head around what is obviously a very restrictive part being upgraded and giving such poor results.

I think i was just looking for a better figure than i got! The way i look at it now is the header bang for buck was the worst mod!

Toying with cams next but real a bit pissed. RBC is also a maybe but i have almost the same figures as you without it.

Oh and the other thing is i have lost torque got a few ponies but most of all gained a crap exhaust note :(

Might ditch for the toda or even thinking of putting standard mani back on :cry:

celox performance

Advanced Member
Why are there breaks in the bhp graph (red line)?

I gained 10bhp from the RBC alone originally so was pleased with that, but when I changed to the Mugen exhaust and larger throttle body I lost bhp & torque so I have to put it down to dyno inaccuracies at some point. Your graph is much smoother than it was previously so if I were you i'd leave what you have on, I know I am.

timp

Advanced Member
not sure about the breaks in the red mate, they are on the origional that i scanned looks like an issue with the printer.

Yeah its smoother it feels good but you know could always be better and was hoping it would be.

Will see at shakespear county raceway :!:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
The Spoon 2-1 section is well known to lose torque but gain a little high end power mate. Due to this - It's really only for track use.

I'd keep the 4-2 and put the original 2-1 back on. I guarantee you'll get that torque back.

The only way you're going to achieve a noticeable shift in power is by changing your cams and springs with a fresh map. The joys of n/a modding...

timp

Advanced Member
thanks Conor i'm glad we are not bitching at each other anymore.

Do you think that most of the unwanted noise is coming from the 2-1 section? It sounds like it is coming from the resonator can in the 2-1 i'm guessing this is emptyish as there is no cat in there?

At the moment it sounds like its blowing slightly/taps and i know its neither. Paul said this is normal on the spoon just like to know if you get the same sound from other Headers??

Sorry about the spelling :wink:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
timp said:
thanks Conor i'm glad we are not bitching at each other anymore.

Do you think that most of the unwanted noise is coming from the 2-1 section? It sounds like it is coming from the resonator can in the 2-1 i'm guessing this is emptyish as there is no cat in there?

At the moment it sounds like its blowing slightly/taps and i know its neither. Paul said this is normal on the spoon just like to know if you get the same sound from other Headers??

Sorry about the spelling :wink:
No worries mate. Yeah the 2-1 can make quite a metallic resonance.

I reckon you should sell the complete Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 and buy a Toda or Buddyclub. A remap after this should see fairly substantial gains.

raz786

Advanced Member
xthumbup Buddy Club, I think it's amazing, cheaper than the Toda too, and VTEC Direct have great prices for forum members :D

timp

Advanced Member
only reason i went for the spoon was the MOT issue its easy to remove the 2-1.

i don't have a lift at home and ramps are not high enough to get a 4-2-1 off, how much is a garage gonna charge to take off and put back on again?

i know some relaxed MOT places but none are gonna skip the emisions test i'm sure of that.

What are others doing??

conoroneill

Advanced Member
timp said:
only reason i went for the spoon was the MOT issue its easy to remove the 2-1.

i don't have a lift at home and ramps are not high enough to get a 4-2-1 off, how much is a garage gonna charge to take off and put back on again?

i know some relaxed MOT places but none are gonna skip the emisions test i'm sure of that.

What are others doing??
Get a local mechanic to replace it mate. 15 minute job as long as they have a 2 post lift or a pit and they don't run into complications (like shearing a bolt).

I'd estimate around £20 from an independent garage.

NAS

Comparing the 2 dynoplots, with the spoon mani, both hp and torque are BELOW the other setup till 7500 rpm. After that you only gain 5 Hp :shock:

here is the comparison

I have the spoon manifold, with spoon n1 and I have the same "problem" especially at mid rpms. Compared to other setups there is a difference of 30 or even 40 HP from 5-6500 rpm. After these rpms spoon mani seems to have the same results.
I tried to fix these 1000-1500 rpms several times on the dyno, but nothing hapened.

Look at my example, compared to Js manifold

IMO change it with Toda or BC header to see best results
I am saving money to change it...

:wink: