E.C.U. Modes?

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if it is standard that the stock E.C.U. in the DC5 has two resets? i.e. one to clear fault codes and the other to put the car in "Learning Mode". My E.C.U. allows learning mode (which it is currently in after the last bout of work done) but I'm just curious if this is a standard E.C.U.?

Cheers
Tar.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
the guy who was working on the engine over the past few weeks plugged his laptop in to do various bits and pieces with the car and monitor readings etc. he said that my e.c.u. allows learn mode and he thought this was unusual because he didn't see it in an S2000 for example. it is however the first DC5 he's worked with so it's out of curiosity to see if this is standard on the DC5's. he left it in learn mode and after so many hundred kilometres it will have "learnt" whatever it is learning apparantly. as i said, this could be normal and this is a stock e.c.u. afaik - i'm just curious?

Wootty

Advanced Member
Dont know if the DC5 has a learn mode. The ECU in the FTO had a learn mode that after a reset would measure your driving style - when you change up in tiptronic etc. etc. This might be what he means. :xhuh:

dan the man

Advanced Member
to be honest most ecus have learnign modes do they not?

my 106 xsi GTI and DC2 had them..as an easy mod to pull your fuse out when u fitted a filter or decat and the car learns as u go... ie..loads of throttle and it works with it.

dan

mikegsi

Staff member
so you could just do this as a cheap not quite as good but good enough for now alternative to kpro then :wink:

Tarmac

Advanced Member
right - thx for replies - so it seems it's normal enough.

btw - mike - i had to re-read u'r reply 3 or 4 times to understand it lol :lol: - legend!

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
to be honest most ecus have learnign modes do they not?

my 106 xsi GTI and DC2 had them..as an easy mod to pull your fuse out when u fitted a filter or decat and the car learns as u go... ie..loads of throttle and it works with it.

dan
Really? so if I added the header and b-pipe but left cat in then at a later date fitted a de-cat I could just pull the fuse and after 100 miles or so it'd sort the fuelling out?

Tarmac

Advanced Member
in learn mode it does it's stuff but at the initial stage you may need to tweak settings on the ec.u. in conjunction with the lambda sensor(s) - especially if doing what you're looking at doing scottie.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Tarmac said:
in learn mode it does it's stuff but at the initial stage you may need to tweak settings on the ec.u. in conjunction with the lambda sensor(s) - especially if doing what you're looking at doing scottie.
thought that was the case but I'm i denial (well, my Bank Manager is denying me :lol: )

dan the man

Advanced Member
all DC2 boys do it...

pull fuse as resets the ecu learn codes so has to start again with what its got.

IE;- us lot with heavy right foots...nothing lost eh.

dtm :? 8)

mikegsi

Staff member
i pull mine quite a bit..............

fuse that is, and not really that often :wink:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
The learn mode is a feature of engine management...my CRX had it; when it got sloppy I'd reset the ECU and it would give the car a new lease of life - so long as it learns that you drive it like you stole it. Otherwise it settles into a slow and sloppy habit.

Anyway, quicker and easier than pulling a fuse is to disconnect and reconnect the negative on your battery - et voila! ECU is as shiny as a new penny and ready to remind you why you bought a Honda.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
...yes you could do that but then your Clifford will give u grief and you have to reprogram all your radio stations! :lol:

edit: argghh - noooooooooo - 1,000th post - DAMMIT! :evil: lol :oops:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Tarmac said:
...yes you could do that but then your Clifford will give u grief and you have to reprogram all your radio stations! :lol:

edit: argghh - noooooooooo - 1,000th post - DAMMIT! :evil: lol :oops:
a) turn the Clifford siren off first! (you have still got that little key, haven't you?)

b) yep you will have to reprogram presets on most car stereos. Mine seems to be the exception as I think it stores presets in flash memory - been sitting around for years and still didn't lose its presets...

Congratulations on your 1000th post...I think you should celebrate by giving your teg a damn good thrashing!