'eBay' Induction Kit

Bewesy

Advanced Member
So I currently have Mugen airbox and RM01A combo - probably one of the best all round combinations on a standard car as it just turns it up one notch on the volume and allegedly can give fairly good gains, or so I'm told.

Occasionally I just long for a bit more induction roar, but not enough to warrant the expense or hassle of swapping over to a GM or Tegiwa box. When I had my DC2 you could just pop the top off the airbox exposing the cone and it used to sound immense. After I few days you could put the lid back on and return it back to a normal smooth car.

(Here's a vid when I was 'testing' the DC2. Wait for the return fly past. That sound! :) )

http://youtu.be/A5OSBdUeAH8

Anyway I decided to pull the trigger on one of the cheap eBay short track induction kits, purely to have a few 'noisy days' then sticking the Mugen back on when the novelty wears off. It arrived today so had a go at fitting it. It took about 15 minutes to swap over and came with everything required for installation. To be honest I'm quite impressed with what you get for your money - It was just under £42 delivered.

Just had a quick hoon and it definitely serves its purpose of making noise. The vtec crossover is really pronounced and harks back to old DC2 days. I know it's going to suffer from heat soak and ultimately not going to perform as well as the Mugen, but for smiles per pound I don't think you can beat it.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
I have that exact one on my last DC5 and shall be fitting to my new DC5 this weekend :)
Had them on my DC2's as well as yes they suffer heat soak but the noise is brilliant and they look so shiny lol

Bewesy

Advanced Member
emmsyDC5xx said:
I have that exact one on my last DC5 and shall be fitting to my new DC5 this weekend :)
Had them on my DC2's as well as yes they suffer heat soak but the noise is brilliant and they look so shiny lol
Happy days. I have no idea how good the filter actually is but I suppose you could just stick a K&N on the end if you were that bothered.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Fair play mate. If you want noise, that's the way to do it.

I really miss the lively noisy sr20 I had in my previous car. The performance was nowhere near the k20, but the throttle response and noise was fantastic. It was such an event.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
The dc2 sounds nice in the return run, just can't beat the sound of vtec induction!

As for the eBay induction kit, it does exactly what you want it to. Pretty much a k+n short ram or aem V2. Maybe just the filters not as good.

Justin

spooke

Advanced Member
From what I've read the Mugen airbox isn't particularly great? I'm pretty sure the GruppeM gives best results.

I'm running a Injen Mega Ram which sits in a similar way but is shorter (has no bend), makes a awesome sound and feels better - although you can definitely feel heatsoak in traffic but seems to clear up fast.

I plan to do a test with some heat reflective tape as I have a OBD2 scanner which can show me the Intake temperature.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
spooke said:
From what I've read the Mugen airbox isn't particularly great? I'm pretty sure the GruppeM gives best results.

I'm running a Injen Mega Ram which sits in a similar way but is shorter (has no bend), makes a awesome sound and feels better - although you can definitely feel heatsoak in traffic but seems to clear up fast.

I plan to do a test with some heat reflective tape as I have a OBD2 scanner which can show me the Intake temperature.
Heard wrong. Lol I'll defend the Mugen till death. Might not be noisy but its the smoothest feeling intake ive ever had the pleasure of experiencing. :)

Came from a short ram which sounded epic as you say, but I wanted something that would perform better on the hotter days. Lol Went with the Mugen, not looked back. I prefer the noise of the open cone way more than the noise of the gruppeM. But I wasn't all that bothered by noise after feeling how the car drove with the Mugen on.

Its all smooth inside the box, the filter design is massive so it's nothing like the oem in that respect. It just sits in the same place in the bay. My cold air feed is pointing straight to the front via a large carbon duct, being fed by a Js racing scoop through the front upper grill.

The guy I bought it from actually changed from his gruppeM to the Mugen. Lol only took it off to sell the car. :)

I know its all personal preference but I really cannot see how its "restricted" etc. Its the same with the Mugen twinloop....thats far from restictve really. Know a few old members on here with high horsepower cars running both Mugen intake / exhaust and making good power :) don't always believe what you read. And I do not mean any malice or harm in my comments in anyway shape or form. Every intake will have its pros and cons yes, but i wouldn't change to a gruppeM atall. Id rather go back to my open cone if it's noise I wanted again hehe :) (yes i have driven one with a gruppeM too... Still very functional)

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Heard wrong. Lol I'll defend the Mugen till death. Might not be noisy but its the smoothest feeling intake ive ever had the pleasure of experiencing. :)

Came from a short ram which sounded epic as you say, but I wanted something that would perform better on the hotter days. Lol Went with the Mugen, not looked back. I prefer the noise of the open cone way more than the noise of the gruppeM. But I wasn't all that bothered by noise after feeling how the car drove with the Mugen on.

Its all smooth inside the box, the filter design is massive so it's nothing like the oem in that respect. It just sits in the same place in the bay. My cold air feed is pointing straight to the front via a large carbon duct, being fed by a Js racing scoop through the front upper grill.

The guy I bought it from actually changed from his gruppeM to the Mugen. Lol only took it off to sell the car. :)

I know its all personal preference but I really cannot see how its "restricted" etc. Its the same with the Mugen twinloop....thats far from restictve really. Know a few old members on here with high horsepower cars running both Mugen intake / exhaust and making good power :) don't always believe what you read. And I do not mean any malice or harm in my comments in anyway shape or form. Every intake will have its pros and cons yes, but i wouldn't change to a gruppeM atall. Id rather go back to my open cone if it's noise I wanted again hehe :) (yes i have driven one with a gruppeM too... Still very functional)
Agree the Mugen definitely feels 'smoother'. Not necessarily better or worse, just has a different feel to it. certainly doesn't seem restrictive thought as you say.

It's horses for courses at the end of the day, buts it good to get a number of opinions to read through. Exactly why we are members of a good forum. I KNOW the intake I've just fitted has probably had a detrimental effect on the performance when the engine bay warms up but it is purely a noise investment and I'm already looking forward to feeling Mugen smoothness all over again :)

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I've got an aem filter here if you want a proper filter on the end :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I've got an aem filter here if you want a proper filter on the end :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Cheers for the offer. To be honest I'm not really planning on using it that much so probs just stick with what's on it for now. But thanks again!