ECU reset after O2 sensor + mini service?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Here is what I'm getting done on Sat morning:
New oil
New HAMP Shortie oil filter
New plugs
New power steering fluid
New brake fluid
New primary O2 sensor
Gearbox oil only got done 5k ago so no need.

Yes I know there is so much more I should change/do on my 100k service but this is to see me over the 'Festive Period', and considering I only changed my oil about 5k ago even that seems a bit daft (but it was cheap stuff so that's why it's getting replaced)

Would an ECU reset be needed or give any benefit once all the above is done? If so... What's the preferred method of an ECU reset on these things? I know on my Celica you could either disconnect the battery (but lose all settings in the car) or just pull the blue fuse for 30s.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I wouldn't bother Liam, it will self adjust as necessary should it need to. Even if you have an Eml from the 02 sensor it shouldgo out after a short drive but if it stays on for more than a day then go for the reset. I just disconnect a battery lead for 20 minu tes and that does the trick. If you don't know already your driver side window will no longer auto scroll up and down so look up the diy for it if you need to. Take 20 seconds to reprogramme

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Ok mate thanks for that, and I'm assuming the DIY for the window thing is the hold it up when it's up and down when it's down thing? No bigge, thanks for the heads up.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I can clear the code with my obd it was the actual benefit (if any) I was curious about, the code doesn't bother me.

BenSayers

Advanced Member
Is the sensor easy to fit? Mine should come tomorrow and want to get it on asap

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Riz

Advanced Member
Removing the old sensor is the difficult bit. I gave up in defeat and had to take it to the garage :(

Riz

Advanced Member
I raised the car with two hydraulic jacks. Would be easier on a ramp, but I still managed to get enough leverage to round the bolt....

also, remove it with the exhaust hot, so be careful if you are crawling under the car!

mark2390

Advanced Member
Its s pain in the butt. Did mine a few weeks back took about half to three quarters of an hour of trying to get a decent grip and to get it to losen!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

jasondc55

Advanced Member
If you are working off the floor Jack the car up locate the sensor and put a decent ring spanner on it, get a piece of wood and wedge it between you floor pan and exhaust ,position the spanner so its resting on another piece of wood or house brick ,gently lower the car and pop let gravity do its thing as this will be plenty of leverage . This was my method and works the same way with seized suspension bolts etc. Yes it is cold, wet and windy but a nice set of Goretex water proofs are as good as any garage. I work to a tight budget and every penny counts towards driving my car on track so working on my own car is total satisfaction..most of the time :xgrin:

davidpingu

Advanced Member
jasondc55 said:
If you are working off the floor Jack the car up locate the sensor and put a decent ring spanner on it, get a piece of wood and wedge it between you floor pan and exhaust ,position the spanner so its resting on another piece of wood or house brick ,gently lower the car and pop let gravity do its thing as this will be plenty of leverage . This was my method and works the same way with seized suspension bolts etc. Yes it is cold, wet and windy but a nice set of Goretex water proofs are as good as any garage. I work to a tight budget and every penny counts towards driving my car on track so working on my own car is total satisfaction..most of the time :xgrin:
I've done a similar thing with my suspension bolts but with a second/spare hydraulic jack instead. Set the spanner up as you described and whilst making sure it's held flush to the nut, slowly started jacking. Worked quite well!