EML Engine Cut out and Mis-Fire

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Been on a spirited drive today and about an hour into the run when accelerating hard the engine stuttered and lurched forward as it lost power. Initially this didn't throw a code but made me back off for a while. Gradually I built things back up again and then bang it would do it again only this time I would get the EML and then rev limited to 4,000RPM. Whilst light was on it was running fine so I cleared code and then carried on again. 10mins later again whist accelerating hard it would do it again but this time when EML was on I had a bad mis-fire like on three cylinders. So this would go on effectively each time I clear code car would run perfect until its being driven hard after a period of time. Whats strange is that it would do it each time I rev the car so the incidents seem to have no pattern so whether this is heat related within the coil pack maybe.

Now to add a bit of history, this issue has been around about 12 months. When I went to Spa and Nurburgring in April it occurred on track again because this is long periods of hard vtec. Since being back home and driving car normally with occasional fast road its been fine until today its decided to return!

I've bought myself some new plugs as current ones have 60k so will see how this goes first and foremost.

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Does anyone also know if I can retrieve the previous 3-4 EMLs since they've now been cleared from the dash as this would ID the issue quickly hopefully.

Cheers Guys!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Not if you've cleared them I don't think, do you by any chance have an OBD diagnostic tool constantly plugged in? I have a very similar issue yesterday morning and it stopped after I unplugged it, I've heard the cheap ones can sometimes cause issues.

DC5RS

DC5
maxvr6 said:
Not if you've cleared them I don't think, do you by any chance have an OBD diagnostic tool constantly plugged in? I have a very similar issue yesterday morning and it stopped after I unplugged it, I've heard the cheap ones can sometimes cause issues.
you serious? do they interfere with the car? i thought they are READ ONLY devices?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Well they're not supposed to and I know this sounds ridiculous but I have read of them causing issues although its extremely rare, and technically I would think they're not read-only when they can be used to clear eml codes.

Like i said I had a vey similar issue, my battery died while I was away for a few days so i jump started the car and after it had warmed up I had misfiring at vtec crossover. The car actually revved up fine in neutral but when in gear with over 50% throttle at 3.5k it misfired (kpro mapped), and then I noticed the eml light on.

I tried to read the code but dashcommand couldn't find one, every time I cleared the eml it came right back so I just took it easy as I was already half way to work (only a few miles). Thought about it all morning and remembered what I had read about them, then at lunch I unplugged it as I was planning to read the code manually, started the car, no more eml and car ran fine again.

So have you got one always plugged in? Im no expert on these things and just speculating but it could have something to do with it?

DC5RS

DC5
Mine is always plugged in yeah but had no idea they can cause issues. Will unplug it for sure. I got something similar to this

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Mine doesn't look like that and ive had it in for several months, this is the first time it "may" have caused an issue, perhaps jump starting the car did something to it causing the issue. Ive plugged it back in and I haven't had any issues since.

Did it start happening after you bought it and how often does it happen? Maybe leave it unplugged for that amount of time and if it doesn't happen again you've probably found the cause.

http://media.opip.com/product/d/fpimg/er/er1079/er1079b-1.jpg

DC5RS

DC5
and I like this little toy so much.. gonna miss the readings... never had any probs and i have it plugged it for months

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Dodgy coilpack/s maybe? Have they ever been changed on yours?

Nope never been changed. Ill get plugs and possible injectors replaced. Coil packs next if problem persists. Hoping to get codes read off Monday so fingers crossed it gives me a clue :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
While we're on the topic of coil packs. Are the k20 and k20a ones inter-changable? Just imagine the UK ep3 is easy to come across

davidpingu

Advanced Member
My guess would be injectors too. Normally with coil pack it would be one at a time and more likely on cold starts etc. It would be running on 3 cylinders rather than maxing out at high revs. Someone posted on here recently with something similar at higher revs and it turned out to be the injectors. Makes sense really from what you've said as it seems to be when the fueling is at higher output that you're getting the trouble.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Hope to get the rdx ones put in so I'll keep you all posted

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2