Eml on and car not revving past 4000rpm

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Fired the car up this morning and started driving to work, after about a minute I noticed the eml was on so I pulled over and popped the bonnet, had a quick looked round and checked oil and water levels and everything seemed fine even the engine sounded as if it was ticking away nicely, I decided to take the long route to work and let car heat up properly, after this I went to accelerate in 3rd gear and it was as if the car was hitting the limiter at 4000rpm, I then noticed it was doing the same thing in every gear so I decided to pull over and turned turn the engine off for 5 mins, my vtec is set to kick in just before 5000rpm on my kpro so I'm starting to get a bit worried by this point, when I turned the engine back on the eml was back off and now the cars driving fine again, has anyone ever came across this problem before or have any idea what was happening?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Normally had the light remained on you could have read the fault code but if it's gone out I'm not sure if it's quite as easy.

Having said that if you have a kpro can you hook your laptop up to it? I'm guessing the fault will be stored somewhere?

The car always prevents vtec if the eml is illuminated as precaution.

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Cheers for the reply David, I don't really have enough knowledge to hook my laptop up to it to be honest, my mate owns a garage and has a diagnostic machine would it be any use trying that on it if the lights still out? just started the car up again there and the lights still off, it's a bit weird why this has happened would like to find out what the reason for it was.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Even if the EML has gone off the code will still be permanently stored until you clear it with a diagnostic machine, get your mate to read the code for you :)

c7frw84

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
Even if the EML has gone off the code will still be permanently stored until you clear it with a diagnostic machine, get your mate to read the code for you :)
No problem I'll give this a try and see what the diagnostics machine says then take it from there, cheers

davidpingu

Advanced Member
It's probably a sensor on its way out. Something like one of the O2 sensors could cause an intermittent type fault amongst other things. Probably nothing serious. I recently had this problem with a speed sensor where it was intermittent. Sometimes I had vtec, sometimes I didn't!

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Yeah think your right David it could be one of the sensors, I googled the problem earlier and a lot of Honda owners have mentioned sensors being the problem, the other thing I noticed to check for was leaks in any of the gaskets as this could also put it into limp mode, I got a bit of a fright this morning especially when 1.0 corsas were taking over me lol, this is the first I've experienced this and I've had a few hondas.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
You'll get it sorted easily enough I'm sure mate. Most things that happen to our cars are fairly common so once you know what it is there will be lots of info on how you can sort it.

P.S. surely you didn't need to go over 4K to keep the Corsa's at bay? :p

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
except the lambda sensor there are not usually any problems with dc5 engine sensors,