End of an era :(

firthy22

Advanced Member
Well, the insurance company have written my car off and are determined not to let me buy it back. They have put a buy back price of £6500 on the car which makes it financially unviable.

The only good thing is they have offered me £9k payout which is £300 more than I paid for it 3 years ago so can't complain about that.

Just means I will probably no longer be the proud owner of a DC5 as there aren't any on the island and I don't want to go through the hassle of bringing one in from the mainland as it means full vehicle insoection and with road tax on imported cars being based on emissions will make it expensiive.

Was going to go for an Evo X when I retire in a couple of years anyway so will probably by a cheap Evo locally to put me on till then. Found a black 2004 Evo 8 with 53k miles on the clock for £6k so taking a look at that this weekend, fingers crossed it's a good'un.

Had a great three years on the forum and made some good friends, will probably still post occassionally but no Japfest trackdays or meets for me anymore.

Unfortunately, can't get the wheels, K100, manifold, exhaust etc off the car before it goes as nobody close enough to swap them with and don't have oem parts any more.

I have manged to get Cusco 4 pt and Mugen 2 pt strut braces, blue fitted mats in perfect condition, Mugen airbox with 5Zigen carbon intake and my infamous gear knob off the car so keep your eyes peeled in the for sale section soon. Also have the BC bonnet which is easily repairable if anyone fancies a blue colour coded one, will be letting this go pretty cheap.

Sad day for me, but can't complain about the payout which is more than fair IMO.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
That does not seem right about the buy back price and it unfair for such a knowledgeable member of the forum to just disappear. Surely you can get a second opinion on your car?

salsaboy

Advanced Member
Sad day mate..but chin up.

i,m interested in the mugen strut for the rear when your ready if thats ok.

Cheers Mike

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If their offering you £9k, buy it back for £6 then use the £3k to repair it? Must admit though, £9k is a fantastic payout and you can get great car for that!

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
not to vulture buddy but custom mugen scoop. wink wink.

sad to hear it buddy she was you prove and joy after all.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Woah, where did this come from? did i miss something?

Why is it written off? Did you have a "yoof" moment?

firthy22

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments guys. TBH they really don't want me to put it back on the road as there might be some structural damage but hard to tell until it's completely stripped down. Bodyshop also told them how I keep it in pristine condition so probably why they offered me such a good payout.

I've accepted the payout and looking for something similar locally to put me on till I retire. After having written 2 cars of thsi year, when no previous accidents in the last 25 years, shows me what a dangerous road it can be sriving to work so don't want anything too decent.

Mentioned an Evo to my local garage and he said if it's got more than 50k he wouldn't bother as things need replacing after that and they aren't cheap. He recommended a Scooby (don't laugh) as they are almost bullet proof like Hondas if standard. Found a 2006 2.5L WRX with 40k miles for lass than £7k and it's completely standard so will take a look at that as well as the Evo.

If anyone has any comments on Evo's and Scoobies and relative pitfalls, feel free to post or if anyone has any suggestions to an alternative car to fill me needs.

dotty

Advanced Member
Evo is the better car than the scooby, that being said you can get STI blob eyes for dirt cheap these days, just be prepared to pay double the running costs of a Teg.. It may be worth getting a Teg after all as you know you will inevitably be back in one ;)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Unlucky pal, again very sad news. Shame they wont even let you get to more of the bits and bobs that you could sell. :xaiweb6:
That gear knob of yours must be cursed mate, if its all been happening this year. lol but maybe 4WD is a better option for the roads out their. :xyes:

Good luck in your quest, cant beat a good car search. Quite fun and with a pay out like that, i suppose it will eventually lead you to a car that will put a smile on your face once more. :xgrin:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
All things considering, the payout really is the silver lining here.

Absolutely gutted we wont be seeing you about though in your DC5! :(

So you gonna have to keep posting on here, even if you buy an evo (I love them) keep us up to date :)

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Sorry to hear that Kevin! as everyone has said, the payout is probably the best out of it but it will be sad not to see you and your DC5 at meets anymore :(

Defo stick around, maybe I can get you some evo parts instead :)

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Shame to hear, but as you say, a decent pay out so it's maybe time for a change.
Hope to see you again next TT if I manage to get over again. :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If you go the scooby route, i'm told a 2.0 block is more reliable than the 2.5. Obviously you'll do your own research and make your own call. Good luck with your future car endeavours which ever route you take.