engaging to 1st gear question

detasemen88

my DC5 R seems difficult to engage into 1st gear, unless i am at almost a complete stop. engaging into any other gear is not a problem.

are we required to completely come to a stop before engaging the 1st gear? by the way I also notice that when it's not fully warmed up, engaging the 2nd gear is more difficlut, although it does not grind.

thanks for any input.

Hoodster

Advanced Member
Yeah this sounds normal 1st & 2nd gears are a little awkward to engage until the gear box has warmed up and until your going slow enough 1st is difficult to engage as is 6th if your going too slow. :)

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
When it's cold, first and second are a bit stiff, after a few minutes all is fine. I can crawl and pull away easily from a very low speed in second anyway, why do you feel the need to go back to 1st?

If you're still having difficulty try blipping the throttle between the change from 2nd to 1st.

Hancock

Advanced Member
i would'nt go into first unless i had come to a complete stop anyway. Try changing your gear oil that may help a little if you havent already done so.

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
its easier to put it back into 1st on the dc5 box when moving than any other honda ive owned.

flex1984

Advanced Member
i just changed my oil to the redline stuff, its helped fix this problem alot on my car ;)

detasemen88

TypeGRRR said:
When it's cold, first and second are a bit stiff, after a few minutes all is fine. I can crawl and pull away easily from a very low speed in second anyway, why do you feel the need to go back to 1st?

If you're still having difficulty try blipping the throttle between the change from 2nd to 1st.
well there are a lot of speed bumps around where I live.... so I thought after slowing down, pulling off from 1st gear might be better.

well pulling up from the 2nd gear is not a problem at all, the car can pull up strongly with the 2nd gear.

thanks mate!!

detasemen88

flex1984 said:
i just changed my oil to the redline stuff, its helped fix this problem alot on my car ;)
I changed my gearbox oil last month, using FK MASSIMO 75w-90 Gear oil for car with LSD.

it's a good oil.... better than Honda's i think

detasemen88

Hoodster said:
Yeah this sounds normal 1st & 2nd gears are a little awkward to engage until the gear box has warmed up and until your going slow enough 1st is difficult to engage as is 6th if your going too slow. :)
Glad to know that my car is normal :D