Engine bogging??

Jake990

I was driving the car the other night in very heavy rain and the roads were completely covered. When I put my foot down to join the motorway the car seemed to bog out in second. Only for a second then all was fine. I'm not sure of the induction kit but the air filter is positioned down behind the front bumper. I've taken it off and given it a clean/dry and it was dirty and damp. I'm just wondering could this cause issues if it continues to happen? and is there anything I can do to stop it sucking in water like a modification to the bumper/ air filter, or would you recommend buying a whole new kit thanks.

dotty

Advanced Member
I would be very nervous driving with a filter down in the bumper in these present conditions. There's been a few threads about this in the past. Search for "hydrolock"

Teg

I've got a injen cia with a hydro shield on, it seems to help. If its really heavy rain I keep the revs as low as possible.(or use my mams car ha)

Jake990

I'm abit nervous driving it now. Where would I be able to but a hydro shield from, and what's it do exactly? I'm going to try and use my girlfriends car now in the rain. As I don't want that to happen again I drove about 60miles home afterward at about 55mph keeping the revs as low as I could haha.

Jake990

Unfortunately I don't have the oem box. And I'm thinking about buying the tegiwa copy of the gruppe m. I don't wanna loose any responsiveness or the noise if anyone could shed light on that?. I think in the mean time I may buy that filter sock and bypass valve for peace of mind.

Craig3F

Hi mate when i bought my teg it had a long arm induction kit with the cone sitting in the wheel arch :s ....there was no hydro sheild ether. Drove it home at thirty avoiding every puddle and fitted an oem box from my mates ep3 (he fitted tegawa gruppe m copy) id recomend you do the same as the last thing you want is any damage caused by sucking water through the air intake. This could cause hydrolock which will kill your engine, Hope this helps bud and you get it sorted, Craig :D

Jake990

Cheers Craig yes after reading some stories about hydrolock I don't want that!!! So I think as soon as I've got the money I'll get the Tegiwa induction. Silly question but would you know if I would need to get a remap as I'm changing the system? And would the noise change much as the long arm induction sounds amazing imo.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Unlikely to need a remap changing filters, but it would help to have it checked just incase it made some slight gains.

The Tegiwa M will be quieter than an open cone filter. I used to have it but have put my Apexi cone back on. I preferred the 'raw' sound of an open filter compared to the almost muffled sound of the carbon box.

Craig3F

Jake990 said:
Cheers Craig yes after reading some stories about hydrolock I don't want that!!! So I think as soon as I've got the money I'll get the Tegiwa induction. Silly question but would you know if I would need to get a remap as I'm changing the system? And would the noise change much as the long arm induction sounds amazing imo.
If they had it mapped before no, but mine wasnt so i was actully losing hp :( as i said my mate put the tegiwa on his with kpro then remap and it made a huge difference in performance and noise :D

Jake990

That's good to know that I won't need to remap it save some money. And I think it will be worth getting one even if I don't like the sound wait till summer and put my other one back on. Yes when I get one ill have a go on a dyno to see the difference.