Engine check light and limp mode - please help

dave c

400hp K20
Hi,

My engine check light came on yesterday and i have tried to read the error code by shorting plugs 4 and 9 on the diognostic port. endless long flashes!

So i have read up that and ecu reset can help (battery unplugged now)

Also, i topped my oil the other day and its overfull, just topped it up the day before the light came on. could this be a cause, and is draining it a case of just letting a bit out via the sump plug or do you have to let it all out?

Thanks

ps, any good places to take it in the northeast?

pps, is it safe to drive in limp mode?

Dave

mikegsi

Staff member
how much did you overfill it by mate?

Take it you didn't actually manage to read the codes then? You need this to start diagnosing the fault/cause

dave c

400hp K20
mikegsi said:

Take it you didn't actually manage to read the codes then? You need this to start diagnosing the fault/cause
only overfilled a couple of mm over the top hole, maybe 5mm tops. Parked on a slant caught me out ](*,)

Yeah found someone who is gonna stick it on a diagnostic tommorrow, fingers crossed other wise ill have about 500miles to drive with the cel light on :?

mikegsi

Staff member
dave c said:
mikegsi said:

only overfilled a couple of mm over the top hole, maybe 5mm tops. Parked on a slant caught me out ](*,)

Yeah found someone who is gonna stick it on a diagnostic tommorrow, fingers crossed other wise ill have about 500miles to drive with the cel light on :?

yeah i reckon 5mm will be a little too much, you can generally get away with a couple of mm and is recommended for trackdays

be wary of the aftermarket code reader, i know of some giving wrong codes/not giving the full picture

post your findings though, might also be worth draining the oil and refilling it

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you will be fine with 5mm , it won't do any damage, but i wouldn't do a trackday, i am also assuming the car is up to temp when you are checking?

is the car actually in limp mode? can you describe it better?

just cause the light is on, it is not necessarily in limp, limp is usually only active when you have a problem which would cause damage, if your cat is knackered it puts on the light but not limp, if a coolent temp sensor is gone it might go to limp etc.

dave c

400hp K20
it seems to have about 3/4 of the power and no vtec, i'm not driving it at the moment to be on the safe side.