Engine flush - more damage than good?

truupR

Advanced Member
So I'm about to have my oil changed again seeing as it's been around 6 months since my last service. Now I'm stepping up from a 0w30 to either a 5w30 or 10w40 because I feel like 0w30 is simply too thin given the mileage on my poor teg (almost 100k now :xalright: ). Tried looking for a concrete response on here but couldn't really find too much on the topic.

Now I'm in 2 minds if I should have the engine 'flushed' and I'm having a bit of a debate with my mechanic about it. I'm not mechanically minded by any stretch of the imagination but looking up on various posts on other forums it seems to have mixed, and rather polarized responses to it.

Some people saying it'll cause chaos with the engine, and do huge amounts of damage. Other saying it'll work wonders and preserve the life of the engine.

Much rather make my decision based on people who know the k20 engine (you guys) rather than trust someone who's got very limited experience with the k20.

TL;DR: Should I flush the engine before dropping new oil in it, or stick with my gut instinct and just keep it to a simple oil change, minus the 'flush'

Benneh

Advanced Member
If by flush you mean some other fluid in the place of oil, then most definitely not. If you were changing from xW30 to xW40 then I'd probably say run the new oil for a couple of weeks / a few hundred miles and then change it again, but that's just me!

truupR

Advanced Member
I believe its just running 500ml of some fluid in with the old oil? then idle the car up to temperature, then drain the oil out or something......... I could be COMPLETELY wrong on that given I've never actually done it before or ever looked it up until now lol.

I just know it involves putting fluid through your engine that isn't oil.... and I don't like the idea of that.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Seems like a waste. Honda engines are known for their reliability has long as you feed them the right oil.

Mark_teg

Staff member
It's a load of rubbish! If you want to 'flush' just change your oil again in a couple of days!

truupR

Advanced Member
Well we're talking about a liquid/chemical that can break down any 'gunk' that's deposited over the tens of thousands of miles. In theory it sounds awesome, but I'm reading some horror stories about engines being completely munched within a few thousand miles after using the stuff. Also stuff like the car sounding horrific after it's been used.

Can't tell if it's just the random cases where it was going to happen anyway and people want to blame a product, or if it's genuinely bad :/ Just sounds really good when you think about it - but I know absolutely nothing about engines.

Rich3248

Advanced Member
"If in doubt, flush her out...." - Gandhi

IMO you should just stick to the regular oil change. Dont fix something that aint broke (I presume the engine is running fine)