Engine/head removal advice!

samhalsey

Hey guys, so the seemingly impossible has happened, and my head gasket has blown. I think I know exactly when it all started, but it's definitely got worse over time, and I'm just now starting to see mayo on the rad cap 😩

I've removed engines and changed gaskets before, I work as an engineer so I'm not completely clueless. I'm just checking to see what advice I can get before diving in? Is there anything I should know about that's not completely obvious, any tips? Does the engine come out the top, or is it easier to drop it out the bottom etc etc. Anything you can tell me that could help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The 4 times I had to remove my engine was always from the bottom due to the aircon pipe running over the top of the engine.

My removals were driveway jobs so not the best setup and I had to jack the car up really high and get axle stands under the sills to allowance clearance once the engine/subframe were lowered onto a low roller thing.

The job is fairly straight forward really, but I think I did have to remove the front t piece that the radiator sits under since it was in the way when lowering the engine hoist.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Jack stands job for me too. Just get em as high as you can, then lower engine and box out on a trolley jack.

Took me 3 hours all in on my own, with no instructions, just common sense.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk