Engine light on, no loss of performance

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone has had the same issue as I have regarding the EML.
Drove about 20miles on the motorway to Bluewater not problem at all. Came out after 3 hours and switched the car on and on came the EML. There is no rev hunting or anything or strange noises. So decided to take it easy and drive it home, there is no difference at all in how it drives, vtec is good, power delivery is ok even mpg is ok as I filled it up not long ago. The car had 74k on a 04 plate, with a new set of plugs and oil about 500 miles ago.

Had a search for similar things but most relate to the sensor issue b

Any help of advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Http://www.chriexcrementchcock.co.uk

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
probably not advisable going into Vtec either way until you know the fault but yes likely its a sensor failed. If you have kpro you could data log failing that I believe there is an OBD way of reading the DTC fault codes off.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
probably not advisable going into Vtec either way until you know the fault but yes likely its a sensor failed. If you have kpro you could data log failing that I believe there is an ODB way of reading the fault code off.
Thanks for your response, by car is totally standard at the minute, do you know of the best place to get a ODB ?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If you search read DTC codes theres some post on here and other forums on how to do it. From memory its through the OBD port on the car.

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
You need someone with a code reader, it plugs into the OBD socket just under the dash to the left of the driver. Its a 16 pin grey plug.

You will get a code from the ECU which will tell you whats wrong. Most likely the O2 sensor but did you notice if your speedo was working OK as if the speedo converter is dicking about it will flash the EML on as there will be no signal from the speed sensor in the gearbox.

You will have no way of knowing until it is read on a code reader, any half decent garage will have one.

Stevie

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies, will see if my local garage has one in the morning. If it is the sensor who would you guys recommend, will it be a Honda jobbie, I know Tegiwa often have them as well.

I will defiantly be buying one of these readers in the future.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Lol I just saw that, I'm a web designer I guess the forum does not like my name.

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
If it is an O2 sensor then swallow the cost and go genuine Honda. From my experience the aftermarket sensors although made by NGK/Denso are just unrealiable.

The O2 sensors are c.£200 but contact Hendy, maybe they can sort you something :)

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Well just found out the code and it's p1167 - heater failure. I'm guessing this is the o2 sensor, not sure is there is 2 after a quick search. Will now get on to Dave at Steels and see what he can do.

Thanks for your help guys.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Common problem and easily fixed. :)
Just been trailing through the search results and as of yet, some of the posts cannot not tie down which sensor relate to the code p1167, is there a list anywhere or can someone confirm which sensor it is?

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Just found it, didn't realise 1167 and 1166 are code for the primary sensor. I thought one might be before the cat then the other after.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354968126.895364.jpg

dotty

Advanced Member
There's no need to have that website linked on every post. Please remove it.

misterteggy

Hiya, did fitting a new Primary sensor cure both your codes of 1166 and 1167? DId your Eml light go out after fitting the new sensor? Why dont prople update a problem thread after members going to the bother of replying.