Engine management light on only at high speeds?

12T

Advanced Member
Hi everyone

Recently i had my engine management light flashing when i was traveling at 160mph+ (autobahn) on the clock? This only happens on sixth gear and at 160mph or over, the more i push down on the throttle the faster it flashes but once i let go the light stops flashing then dont show up again until i do that kind of speed.

I topped up my engine oil a day before i went so it cant be that :?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Russ

mikegsi

Staff member
We talking mph or kmph?

If on the slim chance were talking mph the solution is simple

Slow down you nutter! :D

JT3173

Advanced Member
12T said:
Hi everyone

Recently i had my engine management light flashing when i was traveling at 160mph+ (autobahn) on the clock? This only happens on sixth gear and at 160mph or over, the more i push down on the throttle the faster it flashes but once i let go the light stops flashing then dont show up again until i do that kind of speed.

I topped up my engine oil a day before i went so it cant be that :?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Russ
Strange, I have mine at this speed and I have no problems what so ever.

Was the needle bouncing off the rev limiter as mine had a little bit more at an indicated 160mph on the clock?

12T

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
We talking mph or kmph?

If on the slim chance were talking mph the solution is simple

Slow down you nutter! :D
:lol: i was planning to go faster than that but when i saw that flashing i slowed down just incase i blew my engine.

This is in mph by the way mike :wink:

JT3173 said:
Strange, I have mine at this speed and I have no problems what so ever.

Was the needle bouncing off the rev limiter as mine had a little bit more at an indicated 160mph on the clock?
No i still had some revs left to go :? I never had this problem before.

carfiend

Advanced Member
When I had mine up to about that speed I didn't get a warning light.

If the engine management light came on surely it would of reported a fault to the ecu you can get read?

dave c

400hp K20
you might be able to run it on a diagnostics machine, when the light comes on does it store the fault, (i think it does)?

Or is it only when the light stays on.

If the light comes on there is a problem, i'd get it checked out

Dave

jay82

Advanced Member
the fault doesn't show unless the light stays on.

the things i would check would be spark plugs or drive shaft senors as there the only things i've ever seen the engine light flash.
and why were u looking at the dails doing 160mph+ :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
do you have kpro?

it can be set to illuminate if knock is detected or as an overtemp warning, you have defo done the right thing by slowing down.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Have you got a Gruppe M induction kit??? and like simon said a K-Pro,

If so i think the Induction scoop could be giving you a tiny bit of forced induction at 160mph+.

If this is the case then your K-Pro will not be mapped for any kind of Boost no matter how small it may be. Just back off your ignition timing about -1 degree and add a tiny bit of fuel at the correct RPM and this should solve the problem if it is Knock.

My 2p's worth

Hope it helps.

Thanks

12T

Advanced Member
Thanks guys getting it checked out on thursday it might be knocking at that speed from what i heard. I have kpro and cams rbc gruppe m the whole lot lol. Maybe just needs a tweak in mapping. Will let you guys know what happens when i get it checked out.

12T

Advanced Member
jay82 said:
the fault doesn't show unless the light stays on.

and why were u looking at the dails doing 160mph+ :lol:
:lol: it was a long straight clear road so i had more time to look :wink:

j30l

Advanced Member
Sounds like knock to me. You will have the flash MIL light if seeing knock switched on in kpro.
You may have to take a bit of ignition timing out when in them cells. This should cure your problem.

12T

Advanced Member
I hope this isnt a big problem :( Dont really fancy paying out for a rebuild just yet.

j30l

Advanced Member
Its only minor to change that. Just take it back to your tuner and he will be able to sort that out if the kal. is locked.

Jayk

Advanced Member
You had problems with TDI South didnt you? As Simon and J30l say, it will be a knock, no major worry, but try not to abuse it until you get it checked out, will need a tweek.