Engine management light

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
integrad said:
Does the light ever go of by itself or do you have to reset the ecu?
It goes off after a couple of miles of driving.Comes on in mine after startup and the car is usually cold but eventually goes off.Has come on 3 times in the last 2 weeks.Seems to be a very familiar problem in the dc5.

Dazmartin

Mine just came on tonight :eek:

Got into the car after work, turned the keys and the engine management light stayed on, gutted. The car sounds and drives fine and the VTEC still engages (paping myself whentrying it).

Read your bit about the cold weather, hope it is this, it's the coldest today I have ever felt and the car is outside whilst i am at work.
Going to try popping the fuse to re-set the ecu tomorrow and hope the light stays off.
When I turn the keys in the ignition prior to engine start the light comes on with the other 2 next to it, it flashes once the other lights go out and the engine one stays on !!

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
Dazmartin said:
Mine just came on tonight :eek:

Got into the car after work, turned the keys and the engine management light stayed on, gutted. The car sounds and drives fine and the VTEC still engages (paping myself whentrying it).

Read your bit about the cold weather, hope it is this, it's the coldest today I have ever felt and the car is outside whilst i am at work.
Going to try popping the fuse to re-set the ecu tomorrow and hope the light stays off.
When I turn the keys in the ignition prior to engine start the light comes on with the other 2 next to it, it flashes once the other lights go out and the engine one stays on !!
Exact same as mine mate!The oil light and other light go out while the engine light just flashes and stays on!I got into the 5 after playin a game of footie 2nite with friends when it started to snow.The car was freezing cold and yes,the light came on after startup!Drove around for a bit and it stayed on.Just drove home.Went out about 30mins ago to do the usual put the teg in the drive with 3 cars in front and the light had gone off!Think it's the most common problem with the teg!!!Doesn't affect performance at all!!!let me know how you get on with yours?

Dazmartin

This forum is =D> \:D/ Just did the 20 second removal of fuse No6 and the engine management light is no longer on.
Obviously if it comes on again I will need to get it checked out but hopefully it is just the cold weather.
Wonder if work will install a heater in the car park :-k

integrad

Dont worry about it it will go out by itself mine has =D> in the five years i have owned the car i have never seen the engine managment lite come on but i guess this temp is just to cold for it.

Magnet

I too have just had this occur. I did a diagnostic check (with the aid of a paper clip) and it is code 41 = 1166/1167.
It seems like the car is OK to drive in this condition and that the CEL may go out once the car is driven - however if it stays on is the replacement of the primary O2 sensor the only cure?

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
Magnet said:
I too have just had this occur. I did a diagnostic check (with the aid of a paper clip) and it is code 41 = 1166/1167.
It seems like the car is OK to drive in this condition and that the CEL may go out once the car is driven - however if it stays on is the replacement of the primary O2 sensor the only cure?
Yep,its the only way.With recent conditions there's more and more dc5's showing the 02 sensor fault.Mine has stayed on the last week now and hasn't gone off since so I know the sensor is fooked!!!

-Woody-

Advanced Member
I pressume this is whats just happened time mine. Been on since the snow yesterday when i got stuck briefly. Ran the car for some long journeys and it hasnt gone off, as mentioned though my car is running absolutely fine.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
The Innovate LC-1 wideband instructions state that you should let the sensor heat up before starting the engine.
Heating the sensor will obviously take longer in the winter as it's at a lower temperature.

In K-Pro, from a cold start, there is no A/F reading coming from the O2 sensor for the first wee while (time changes).

My advice; turn the ignition on, let the fuel pump prime (EML goes out) then wait a further 30seconds before starting the car.
In the summer you don't need to wait as long, I usually let the pump prime then start the engine.