Engine mount removal

JezW

Advanced Member
The bushes in my engine mounts are worn out, just the front and rear I think. The mounts themselves look fine so I'm looking at inserts:

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?t=p&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=&level1=&level2=&level3=&id_product=4225

From what I've read they shouldn't really increase vibrations except maybe a little at idle.The hardness rating isn't specified for the inserts though?

Funnily enough the RSX 02-06 manual is missing the page for engine mount replacement - 5-21. I'll work it out from the other pages I suppose :)

Is it a big job to put some inserts into the front and rear mounts? And is it worth doing the side ones if they aren't worn out?

Thanks guys

dave7368

Advanced Member
easy enough, is just a few nuts and bolts, a jack to support the weight of the engine. though from memory the rear one can be a little awkward to get around the exhaust manifold.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
How "worn" is the front buddy?? Its common for them to split...personal experiance.

I, like you, bought some of the inserts and got them fitted, with the front mount still torn, as it says they "fix worn mounts".

Worked for about 2 weeks, possitive feeling, and the vibrations really wernt an issue for me. (Im an everyday teg driver and they are fine btw) but anyways, after they had softend up abit, the engine went back to its jerky movements etc. whilst at TGM getting gearbox work done, i had a new mount, and re-fitted the inserts front and rear. :) well worth doing it that way and replacing ripped mounts as aposed to covering them up, but thats up to you. This was my experiance, HTH

James

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
If you look in the How to section there is a thread with pictures on how to install the inserts. Its pretty helpful

JezW

Advanced Member
Thanks for the tips guys.

Are the inserts actual replacements for the rubber bushes in the mounts, or do the inserts just slot into the worn bushes and work with them in tandem? (and only temporarily fix the problem then?)

Jimmer, which mount did they replace at TGM - just the front one? And they replaced the whole mount I guess, about £80? And when you said you refitted the inserts, they rear mount already had the inserts though?

Ian - the car is juddery between slow gear changes in low rpm. A friend who knows his stuff has had a look, he says it's definitely the engine mounts. Has the front one been changed before?

Thanks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
They are not replacements! but yes, they almost lodge themselves in place, (push one in either side sort of thing - hence inserts) , lol but if the engine mount is fubard then rather than cover the problem up, if I were you I would just do it all in one hit.. obviously cost etc you would have to allow for rather than just £30 inserts.

I bought the set, (front and rear) got the fronts fitted as my front mount was ripped, thinking this "fixed the problem" but it just doesnt. Not worth damaging anything at the expense of £80 odd for a new mount.

Tom took it apart to drop the gearbox and he pointed it out to me then that it was just covering up the enevitable, so I bought a new one and had it fitted with my inserts re installed. also got him to fit the rear inserts too - even though I dont havean aftermarket manifold. (I had bought it so why not) :xgrin:

JezW

Advanced Member
Thanks for clearing that up.

I think I'll replace the mount and get the inserts whilst I'm at it...

Do you think it's worth replacing the rear mount at the same time? I suppose that if one of them is knackered, the other one would be on its way out too. The rear one would add another £55...I'm not bothered about that cost if it's worth doing of course.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Rear should be fine mate, they rarely go. Just the fronts tear themseles apart. Have a look at the rear whilst its up on a ramp by all means, but my front must have be gone for some time without me noticing and it was all given the once over and the rear was like new still.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I say they rarely go, but I have just seen that a lad on here has had his rear go. I take that back. haha Check and see, but again, dont just cover up the inevitable. :)

Replace, then upgrade to prolong ;)

JezW

Advanced Member
Thanks Jimmer, is it possible to check the condition of the rear mount without removing it? I'm in work now, so can't pop down to check...

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Pass, its right under the exhaust manifold. Get on your back and have a look for rips or a tear maybe??

dc5ian

Advanced Member
JezW said:
Thanks for the tips guys.

Are the inserts actual replacements for the rubber bushes in the mounts, or do the inserts just slot into the worn bushes and work with them in tandem? (and only temporarily fix the problem then?)

Jimmer, which mount did they replace at TGM - just the front one? And they replaced the whole mount I guess, about £80? And when you said you refitted the inserts, they rear mount already had the inserts though?

Ian - the car is juddery between slow gear changes in low rpm. A friend who knows his stuff has had a look, he says it's definitely the engine mounts. Has the front one been changed before?

Thanks
tom put a brand new complete front engine mount, not an insert "complete" if you look under the car its the cleanest part.

JezW

Advanced Member
Yeh you're right, i just got home and checked the service book - in Jan 2011 it had a new front engine mount.

Maybe the rear mount was on the way out. I think if it was then more of the load would have been going into the front mount and possibly worn it out again. I've ordered 2 new mounts from Steels, hopefully i'll do it weekend after next. I'll check the front mount first and if it's ok then I'll send back the new one.

Ian, I'm surprised you never put in inserts considering all the other upgrades you made?

dustyvip

Advanced Member
JezW said:
Yeh you're right, i just got home and checked the service book - in Jan 2011 it had a new front engine mount.

Maybe the rear mount was on the way out. I think if it was then more of the load would have been going into the front mount and possibly worn it out again. I've ordered 2 new mounts from Steels, hopefully i'll do it weekend after next. I'll check the front mount first and if it's ok then I'll send back the new one.

Ian, I'm surprised you never put in inserts considering all the other upgrades you made?
What was the part numbers for the new mounts mate?

dc5ian

Advanced Member
I did have the front insert which I installed myself, it then split so I got Tom to change the whole lot.