Engine Oil change frequency for track days

pawpaw

How often do you guys change your oil if you track your car?

I have a 4 hour track event coming up on July 10th. Just did a full servicing (engine & transmission oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid) and from now till track day I will just be driving the car normally. I seldom hit vtec during normal driving, maybe 1 - 2 times a week.

Do I need to change my engine oil after the track event? Any tips will be great! thanks.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm going to be 'that guy' and disagree with everyone.

I don't change oil of any kind after just one single track day. Your oil will be fine, especially as it's a product specifically formulated for high loads and temps. Oil doesn't just fall apart after 4 hours of hard driving. If you want a definitive answer, if you (and you probably will) replace the oil after the track day, send some off for analysis.

What brake fluid are you using?

Brake fluid should be changed periodically, unless of course you've damaged it by heat or somehow managed to have it open to atmosphere for any length of time. It's hygroscopic, meaning it attracts the moisture in the air. Moisture has a low boiling point. Bad for brakes. :p

I would like mr Opie's professional non 'I want to sell you more oil' opinion on the matter. :)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I changed my oil before a trackday a couple years back and did another trackday plus 6k or so miles after that and all seemed fine. I only changed it since it was nearing the 10k mark before that first trackday.
The only thing I have had to change are the front pads which wore to the metal at Cadwell!
Compression and general running are still fine and I've done about 10 trackdays in total, obviously with my regular oil changes.

George657

Advanced Member
Kevin got it spot on.

Did an oil change before I went to Nurburgring. 4 hard laps, a drive home and Iv still not changed it. Oil still looks nice and golden too.

You'll be wasting your money if you change it after every track day IMO.

Brake fluid will be fine to as stated. If you haven't boiled it and it has no moisture in it, it will be fine.

spooke

Advanced Member
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnBFUTCFRlk[/media]

17m49s If Tsuchiya changes his oil so do I! Heh :p

Justintian

Advanced Member
I normally change my engine oil and gearbox oil between 3-4 trackdays in the summer season. Normally 4-5 x15mins per trackday. It was recommended by a lot local trackday regulars. However it depends on how hard you drive, if you are only new to the track, pay attention to brake pads and fluids level are more important.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I remember watching that Best Motoring video before, and thinking exactly the same things as I've just thought now. Engine oil is under so much more load and heat than gearbox oil.

His points of oil being pumped, cooled and cleaned..

The oil needs to travel greater distances within the engine and be at high pressure when it gets there, to create the film required to allow parts to spin. Gearbox bearings are not shells and film, they use various different types of race bearings that don't require oil for the spinny bits. What the fact the oil is pumped has got to do with longevity of the product, I don't know. Not much I suspect. Splash lubrication is adequate for race bearings, cogs, syncro rings and differentials.

The engine is a completely different beast in comparison to a gearbox, engine oil is heated through friction, but mainly because it's being actively heated through the sucking squeezing banging and blowing bit. Gearboxes don't have any sucking or banging inside them. Poor things. They don't know what they're missing.

The oil collects lots of contaminants from the cylinder walls through the combustion process and scraper rings on the pistons. There are also many more moving parts in an engine, leading to a greater risk of metal particles collecting and needing to be kept away from the very tight tolerances within an engine. Gearbox internals are in a sealed environment, without access to contaminants. They don't require filtering.

As knowledgeable as mr Ichishima is, I don't agree with him. :p

I agree with him on his opinion of flushing oils/fluids though, they are a terrible idea and should be banished.

Tsuchiya doesn't know much, as he openly states. But then why would he, he has a team of mechanics and engineers to do all that for him. He's a racing driver and a team manager. He also has plenty plenty money, and probably gets all of his consumables free. If tyres were free, I would bolt a fresh set on before every track day, and probably another set on at lunch. If my oil was free, I would change it more often, as it's not, I change it when I deem it necessary. :)

I don't know what you're worried about anyway, Honda's blow all their oil out the exhaust anyway. Hasn't the internet taught you anything? :p

I am not an engineer, nor am I an oil analyst. I could be completely wrong, it's happened before..once. What I do know is my engines have always been healthy and gone on to lead long and prosperous lives of the best kind of abuse. After all this, my engine is probably going to turn one of it's con rods into fusilli pasta on the next session.

Kellsled

Advanced Member
Every track day I did mine and was pointless,came out as fresh as it went in. Every other track day is fine, or about 3k miles after the trackday