Engine oil temperature

JDC5

Charged DC5
Just a quick question. How hot does the engine oil get?

Below 150'c or above 150'c for example?

(I need to buy some loctite threadlocker for my oil cooler pipes and need to see which one can handle the heat)

Thanks

T

Tegiwa Imports

When I had assist meters in my DC5 I don't think it ever went above 90 Degrees c

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
122 was the most I ever saw on my dc5 with an oil cooler, however it was a very hot day and we had been out for about 45 mins without stopping . We had the meter and a stick on strip on the sump.

Normally tho about 110-115 while racing

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Jdc5 , you should not use thread lock on your oil cooler pipes. They will probably leak if you do.

JDC5

Charged DC5
Jdc5 , you should not use thread lock on your oil cooler pipes. They will probably leak if you do.
Hi Simon... I though the idea of threadlocking was to stop it from leaking. The loctite product i found is the 577 thread locker or i can use the 55 with is a thread selant cord...

i mean... whats the best way to go about stopping the leak?

cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it depends on the thread types, if they are tapered then they should lock, if they are aeroquip type (red or blue) then they should be engineered to fit together without leaking.

you need to be careful not to get threadlock or similar into the oil system,

where does it leak at the mo?

JDC5

Charged DC5
the oil cooler i got i didn't put it together myself.

the kit was fitted and purchase through Artech (when they was still around)

its aeroquip type as the fittings are red type ones. the leak is from the nut holding the braided hose to the Mocal cooler matrix at the bottom.

I havent taken it apart yet as i don't want to remove it and have to order parts as my car is my daily driver and i just want to be prepared with parts if i do need to repair the leak.

cheers Simon

JDC5

Charged DC5
Are the pictures working Simon? Just managed to get you some pictures for you from my phone.

The leak is from the blue nut attached to the oil cooler matrix . I never removed the nut as my oil hasn't turned up yet