Engine Oil top up question

viper1984

Advanced Member
Hi

The oil dip stick level is at the bottom mark, and I don't want to risk damaging the engine by driving to get some more oil from a shop as the nearest is 20 miles away. Would it be ok to use olive oil to top it up for now? The kind that is used for cooking. It seems to have the same thickness as engine oil if you know what i mean, plus the one i have here is extra virgin olive oil so its good quality stuff.

Thanks in advance

Dan34

Advanced Member
Can't tell if serious?! :xaiweb6: haha.

Good lord please don't use olive oil, even if it is extra virgin...

beppe786

Beppe
Dan34 said:
Can't tell if serious?! :xaiweb6: haha.

Good lord please don't use olive oil, even if it is extra virgin...
i couldn't tell if it was a joke or serious.. but i think hes serious.. any chefs on the forum help... lol

beppe786

Beppe
viper1984 said:
Hi

The oil dip stick level is at the bottom mark, and I don't want to risk damaging the engine by driving to get some more oil from a shop as the nearest is 20 miles away. Would it be ok to use olive oil to top it up for now? The kind that is used for cooking. It seems to have the same thickness as engine oil if you know what i mean, plus the one i have here is extra virgin olive oil so its good quality stuff.

Thanks in advance
on a serious note dont top up with anything else but motor oil please!

drive to a petrol pump pickup any 5w40 or 5w30 engine oil and top up..

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jesus mate don't put any olive oil in your car FFS!! xrofl

It will be fine to drive it to the shops, it will actually still have plenty of oil in it despite it being on the lowest marker.

Just top it up and drive it easily for a while, get the oil circulated and get VTEC'ing again. :xgrin:

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
I almost fell off my chair reading the OP.

if its below on cold then its fine as honda measure oil level when warm

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Olive oil won't do anything. You need to go to your nearest chippy and ask if they have any spare you can have from their fryers!!

viper1984

Advanced Member
Well I needed to go to Waitrose and get some wine and my weekly shopping so I thought I would give it a try as I was feeling thirsty. The car seemed to run really nice on the way down there. On the way back I thought I would give it some stick on the dual carriageway. My days, did it go! It feels like it has have given it an extra 15-20 bhp.

As others have said, i would strongly advise that you do not try this on your car as it may cause untold damage. I will report back with how my car fares.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
I think he's thinking of making his car into a mobile chippy van......What a mod ;)

T.G.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Reminds me of the guy who cleaned his engine out with water in the middle of an oil change. Ran a hose through the rocker cover apparently.

Benneh

Advanced Member
MaxJ said:
Reminds me of the guy who cleaned his engine out with water in the middle of an oil change. Ran a hose through the rocker cover apparently.
He did, over in America, because it was something suggested to him on an owners club forum...

viper1984

Advanced Member
I know its a little early, but so far my calculations indicate I'm noticing improved mpg too!

Not really just a Friday wind up to pass the afternoon at work quicker :xaiweb5:

Alex.J

Advanced Member
While we are on the subject of top ups, mines just up to the bottom of the oil fill cap, I assume this is max?!

MrRy

Advanced Member
Alex.J said:
While we are on the subject of top ups, mines just up to the bottom of the oil fill cap, I assume this is max?!
You would need pull out dipstick and place it vertically into the oil fill hole. If it reads above min then you're good to go!

TyHorse

Really? He doesn't deserve to drive anything thinking olive oil us suitable to use as top up.

No matter filling to oil cap, on my old Gt I wondered why 4l or so of fresh oil wasn't showing on my dipstick, maybe the sump plug at my feet had something to do with that.....

Only did it once mind.

Ty