Engine Revving Randomly on Idle?

tomparka91

Hi,

had the car sat up for past 8 months whilst im waiting to turn 21, been letting it idle every now and then so everything gets a chance to move. Last time i did this after about 2-3 mins when temp is starting to get to normal operating range, the car then starts revving up to 3,00rpm then back down to 1,500ish and back and fourth of its own accord. Tried driving a few times up and down my road and was still happening unless i was above 3K rpm.

Im hoping its just in need of a proper run up and down the motorway and that there is no real issue, but cant do that for another 4.5months. Any ideas just in case?

Thanks!

Tom :xgrin:

JDM Phill

Tom,

Exactly right, I had this problem with mine after I had been at sea for about 8 weeks and the poor thing had sat in the dockyard without being started. Let her warm up and then take her out and let her open her legs ;)

Only took mine across the dockyard but a couple of runs up to 6 or 7k rpm sorted everything right out :) Enjoy her once you turn 21!!!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i suspect your idle air control valve is stuck, it can get like this from lack of use, whip it off and get the carb cleaner on it if it isnt fixed by taking her for a blast

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
Drop me a line on 01254 702888 and I will talk you through it. Simple fix bud, all you need is a screwdriver, 12mm socket and some long grip pliers.

Stevie

colinged

alright,

I had this problem after laying up the car for a year and a half... went through everything cleaning IAC valve + new gasket, new wiring (as the black wire at the valve was loose), checked over for vacuums etc and this is what fixed it (would advise to try first)....

ECM/PCM Learning procedure (can find this in the service manual on this site - look for it for exact instructions as it has to be done properly)...

have all electrical things turned off, ac, radio, lights etc
I ended up disconnecting battery, leaving for a while, reattaching,
turn ignition to on for a couple of seconds
start the engine, in neutral, hold at 3000 revs until the radiator fan comes on
take foot off completely after this and let run for 5 minutes (not counting time that the fan comes back on)

I believe you have to do this if you have cleaned the TB / IACV too

Cheers,

Col

Aquiles

im from australia and i just done a conversion on my dc5 from base auto to type r, and when i turn it on starts reving from 2k to 3k then 1.5k then so on and its gettin me worried , although the guy i bought it from had it sitting there for a while. i removed the maping sensor and put the one from my base it changed to 1k drove it up the road and started with the reving again, what could it be please help,
thanks

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
as above there is a very good chance the iacv is sticking, its very common on thee cars