Engine Wear due to Tuning

RNP

Does anyone here having a stock K20 notice a drop in engine reliability/signs of increased internal wear after tuning? I know tuning optimises the potential across the rev range, but i would assume that realising this potential comes at a material cost to the engine?

Mark_teg

Staff member
NA tuning, when done properly, I would say has no real effects.

Supercharging / turbocharging will increase wear due to the extra heat and pressures, unless internals are uprated of course. By how much depends on so many things!

Interesting question :)

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Its like exercise, it wears your joints out faster but is meant to be good for you........ :?

Cartilage needs impact to absorb nutrients otherwise it will degenerate but.......using them more will wear them out. Swings and roundabouts.

Thrashing a car will wear it out, thrashing a tuned car, it will probably wear out faster, its relative of course.

Honda engines are generally regarded as well engineered so they will likely take a bit more stick. Subaru on the other hand pha ha........

RNP

Yea people tell me that i should do it because there's untapped power, the noise is better, but basically this translates to a higher production of energy (thermal) within the engine that should produce more wear. I'd like to compare two well serviced engines of course, not one that is trashed and the other well taken care of. If anyone has first hand experience I'd like to hear it.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I started to tune mine around 60k in and finished my tuning at around 100k. The engine went on to 250k and that was with around 260hp. Not something you need to worry about certainly if it's not your daily. If you FI your motor then that's a different story but if done right it'll do you fine as plenty of boosted folk on here (not sure how many rebuilds they've gone through though :p)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2