Engine wont start PLEASE HELP

Type K

Advanced Member
Iv had a lot of issues with getting this engine started and it just seems to be problem after problem with it.I did a wire tuck and with that loom the engine started but was not running right, I then bought another loom that was unaltered and now its not starting at all which I find strange. Iv tried everything within my knowledge; the fuel is coming through, the spark is fine and all connections and earths are fine.
Here's a link to a short clip I made to show you whats happening, hope someone can help as iv lost hope with it ever running now

http://dai.ly/x2205c1

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
You know the timing is ok? Tried a different ecu from another k20? Could do with getting hold of kpro as that will help tremendously in diagnosing. No EML I presume?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Type K

Advanced Member
Timing was something I thought about but hasn't been Altered at all so not sure how that could have been the issue. It's currently got a kpro but yeh not getting any eml

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It looks like you haven't got an exhaust manifold on?!?!

No back pressure I'm sure will be the issue. Plus the sensors will be going nuts.

Type K

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:

No back pressure I'm sure will be the issue. Plus the sensors will be going nuts.
If it is that i will feel stupid but grateful at the same time, iv had that many issues with fuel and wiring that this completely went over my head but it has started previously without the manifold so lets see

davidpingu

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:

That's what the noise was!!!! :xaiweb6: Good spot Adam.

I was thinking for a minute, that engine sounds completely spanked! What Adam said is definitely a factor even if it isn't the only one. Get it all put back together. Things like 02 sensors hooked up and the engine will be much happier. At the moment it's going to be throwing codes like there's no tomorrow!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
You say that but he has kpro and says no codes are coming up which is strange I admit. Worth a shot putting things back together fully still as there supposed to be attached for a reason :p

Type K

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
You say that but he has kpro and says no codes are coming up which is strange I admit. Worth a shot putting things back together fully still as there supposed to be attached for a reason :p

yes but as stated previously the engine has ran without a manifold, i will do this but im not very optimistic it will resolve it

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ok, it should start without the manifold, but with no lambda feedback (depends on kpro settings) might not run great, but it should run.

i have some questions.

- did the engine run properly before you did the wire tuck?
-does the car have an alarm/immobiliser on it?
-what base map is in the kpro?
-what did you get the new loom from?
-what other mods have you done ?
- what area of the country do you live in?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the drawing here is basically what you need to get a k20 to run- if you have kpro, ensure the correct map is selected and ensure lambda etc are switched off

Type K

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
ok, it should start without the manifold, but with no lambda feedback (depends on kpro settings) might not run great, but it should run.

i have some questions.

- did the engine run properly before you did the wire tuck?
-does the car have an alarm/immobiliser on it?
-what base map is in the kpro?
-what did you get the new loom from?
-what other mods have you done ?
- what area of the country do you live in?
To answer your questions
Yes engine ran fine before removal and tuck
Yes It had an alarm which has been removed as it wouldn't allow fuel pump to prime which has been resolved
The kpro and engine are from the same donor vehicle so should work together fine and mapped with the mods listed below
It's got rbc, cold air intake and dc manifold (when on lol)
And I'm in Sheffield

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
what was the new loom from?

if it was fine before and you have performed a tuck, then you haven done it correctly, theres no other reason the car if it did run , now wont, it is possible of course if you tried to start it with a wrongly wired loom you have damaged a sensor which is why it wont go now,

i asked about your location as i would have come and had a look if i was a bit closer :(

i suspect a crank sensor or something has become damaged due to a mistake in the tuck

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
What I don't understand here is although the symptoms are as though a part is malfunctioned or sensor is missing it's not coming up on kpro. Could it be that kpro isn't working properly or isn't wired/earthed correctly etc

ste01

Advanced Member
What C&S Evo7 said!

When I bought my Seat (yeah I know it's not a DC5) that had the loom/wiring routed a different way to the usual OEM style, as a result it was under tension at various points and in my case caused problems with the cam position sensor

Type K

Advanced Member
So im still stuck with this :(
I downloaded kmanager and plugged the kpro in and all i got was the IAT sensor, which there isnt one so expected that but apart from that nothing else came up. I replaced the knock sensor just to check but that made no difference. I also disconnected the map sensor and it ran for a few seconds but there was no throttle response and it cut off. The weird thing though when i did disconnect the map sensor and plugged the laptop in again it didnt pick it up that the map wasnt connected.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
so what car was the replacement loom from?

why is there no Iat? if you disconnect the map sensor i wouldnt expect it to run for long either.

where is the fusebox now located?

Type K

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
so what car was the replacement loom from?

why is there no Iat? if you disconnect the map sensor i wouldnt expect it to run for long either.

where is the fusebox now located?
that was from a dc5 too and the seller said that it was working fine before being removed.

The IAT is just a sensor that joes on to the air box but that isnt connected therefore the IAT cant be connected.
The fuse box has been relocated to inside the car and so has the battery.